What's new

IPTV with RT-AC3100 and RT-AC86u AiMesh, no Lan cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dogf

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have zero knowledge with IPTV. I actually have an AC3100, I want to buy an AC86U to provide IPTV to stb (set top box). Topology is something like this:

ISP -> AC3100 --------------> AC86U -> stb -> TV
or
ISP -> AC86U --------------> AC3100 -> stb -> TV

There will be no Lan cable connecting AC3100 and AC86U. Is it possible to config the IPTV with that condition?

Pls help me. Thank you!

This is very unlikely to work. A lot (most?) IPTV services require the STB to be connected to a specific port on the router that is configured for a specific VLAN. Using any other connection (i.e. other ports or wifi) will not have the necessary VLAN tags. But this may not be the case with your IPTV provider so you need to state who they are so that people that are using them can give you a definitive answer.

This is very unlikely to work. A lot (most?) IPTV services require the STB to be connected to a specific port on the router that is configured for a specific VLAN. Using any other connection (i.e. other ports or wifi) will not have the necessary VLAN tags. But this may not be the case with your IPTV provider so you need to state who they are so that people that are using them can give you a definitive answer.
Thanks. I also read somewhere that Unicast is not good for wireless so may be IPTV requires LAN connection. But this is still an open question, because I really need that to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!