What's new

IPv6 and dnsmasq

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amiskell

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to configure DNSMasq to handle all IPv6 lookups?

I have IPv6 enabled on the local network (Comcast supports the WAN side) and clients are pulling a IPv6 address.

However, they are getting 192.168.1.1 for the IPv4 DNS server and the two external Comcast DNS servers for IPv6. I'd like them to lookup all DNS against the router and let the router forward any requests up the chain just like with the IPv4 setup.

Not critical as I'm just wrapping my head around how IPv6 works, but I would like to figure out how to configure dnsmasq in that way.

That's how the router's firmware is setup. 192.168.1.1 is the router itself. I don't think the router will ever have an IPv6 address.

That's how the router's firmware is setup. 192.168.1.1 is the router itself. I don't think the router will ever have an IPv6 address.

The router does have an IPv6 address because it's still the gateway/router for routing IPv6 traffic. It looks like radvd is handling out the IP addresses to the IPv6 client, but giving it the DNS servers for the Comcast IPv6 DNS servers.

I'm thinking I can disable radvd and use dnsmasq to handle all of that along with being the forwarder for IPv6 based DNS requests.

The router does have an IPv6 address because it's still the gateway/router for routing IPv6 traffic. It looks like radvd is handling out the IP addresses to the IPv6 client, but giving it the DNS servers for the Comcast IPv6 DNS servers.

I'm thinking I can disable radvd and use dnsmasq to handle all of that along with being the forwarder for IPv6 based DNS requests.

The version of dnsmasq in the firmware supports IPv6, but I don't remember if it is compiled in or not. You would have to at least modify dnsmasq.conf and might need to restart dnsmasq with different parameters also.

Code:
Dec 13 02:18:55 dnsmasq[1181]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack no-ipset no-auth

If you use static ipv6 it works out of the box.
Just set a simple ip in the "LAN IPv6 Address" field.
Like "2001:your: prefix::1" and the same in the "IPv6 DNS Server 1" field.
Set the comcast dns as second and third.