What's new

IPv6 and wireless repeater? Not working, How to route ipv6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mxyz

Occasional Visitor
I'm using an AC68U with the most recent Merlin firmware.

In wireless repeater mode it isn't routing IPv6. Clients connecting to the repeater get their ip6 addresses from the main router. But can't ping even the dhcp router that gave them those addresses.

A similar setup with the repeating router wired works fine, even though the asus AP doesn't get an IPv6 address. IPv6 clients work in passthrough mode to the main router.

The repeater works otherwise. How do I get IPv6 clients to route correctly on the wireless repeater?

Thanks

Doesn't make sense - repeater mode has no router and shouldn't care or even know about IPv6.....

Did you do a factory reset then configure it into repeater mode from scratch?

I have the same issue, but with an AC66U. On the forum I saw many reports of exactly this problem, but nobody ever got a solution.

Personally I don't even care that IPv6 traffic is impossible, but since the clients do get ipv6 address/gateway/dns info, it hinders the IPv4 usage also. Because a lot of Android applications become very slow as they first try an IPv6 connection and after a very long timeout (10 sec or more) they finally switch to IPv4.

So even if its impossible to fix the root cause which prevents IPv6 traffic, it would be at least extremely helpful if the repeater didn't make its clients think its available (by not providing the gateway info, etc).

The only other solution would be to disable IPv6 in the main router, but thats really undesirable since its just the repeater-clients who cannot use it.

I have the same issue, but with an AC66U. On the forum I saw many reports of exactly this problem, but nobody ever got a solution.

Personally I don't even care that IPv6 traffic is impossible, but since the clients do get ipv6 address/gateway/dns info, it hinders the IPv4 usage also. Because a lot of Android applications become very slow as they first try an IPv6 connection and after a very long timeout (10 sec or more) they finally switch to IPv4.

So even if its impossible to fix the root cause which prevents IPv6 traffic, it would be at least extremely helpful if the repeater didn't make its clients think its available (by not providing the gateway info, etc).

The only other solution would be to disable IPv6 in the main router, but thats really undesirable since its just the repeater-clients who cannot use it.
I switched that router to Johns's fork 374.43_52E7j9527, and ipv6 is working perfectly on all clients connected to the repeater.
It's a weird, before I tried other firmware, using the latest merlin at the time some devices got ipv6 connections. Windows computers worked, some older android phones worked, but not newer android phones.

I switched that router to Johns's fork 374.43_52E7j9527, and ipv6 is working perfectly on all clients connected to the repeater.
It's a weird, before I tried other firmware, using the latest merlin at the time some devices got ipv6 connections. Windows computers worked, some older android phones worked, but not newer android phones.

Wow, really strange it is working for you. I already accepted it as a fact that it was just not possible.

Do you have the A1 or B1 revision of the AC66U? Because they have a very different chipset (MIPS vs ARM) so maybe it is related to this?

Wow, really strange it is working for you. I already accepted it as a fact that it was just not possible.

Do you have the A1 or B1 revision of the AC66U? Because they have a very different chipset (MIPS vs ARM) so maybe it is related to this?
68u