What's new

IPv6 DNS/TLS

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

Just want to verify i have this set up properly. Do i understand correctly you must enter your IPv6 link local address found under system IPv6 tab and enter that as a DNS server under the IPv6 tab ? I picked 2 ipv4 and 2 ipv6 adresses from the drop down menu on the wan page and enabled DNS/TLS.

Also should i enable DNS filtering. And how should this be set up. Thanks !! ( Enabled this set it to router and entered the clients in the list. )

Apparently it does not work this site https://tenta.com/test Says TLS is not enabled although in the router it is. Does this feature actually work every time i try it it seems to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to verify i have this set up properly. Do i understand correctly you must enter your IPv6 link local address found under system IPv6 tab and enter that as a DNS server under the IPv6 tab ?
Merlin will add [::] as the IPv6 DNS default server, which offers clients "the global address of the machine running dnsmasq". I don’t think there’s a compelling reason to override with the link local address, but you could also manip dnsmasq.conf to offer [fe80::] as the dns server.
Also should i enable DNS filtering. And how should this be set up. Thanks !! ( Enabled this set it to router and entered the clients in the list. )
IPv6 DNS Filter is a little different than IPv4 DNS Filter. IPv6 filtering relies on dnsmasq DHCP settings and rejecting anything besides those settings (since ip6tables doesn’t have a nat table). It should work just fine but it’s different.

Not everyone likes tenta.com accuracy. I have no personal experience.

The reason i did what i did was looking at what Merlin wrote.

IMPORTANT: for DNS Privacy to work in IPv6, you must set IPv6 DNS Server in IPv6 page (not equivalent to add IPv6 DoT servers on the WAN -> Internet Connection page) to your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address. You can find your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address in System Log -> IPv6 tab.

I am hoping i have this configured correctly but am not sure.

The reason i did what i did was looking at what Merlin wrote.

IMPORTANT: for DNS Privacy to work in IPv6, you must set IPv6 DNS Server in IPv6 page (not equivalent to add IPv6 DoT servers on the WAN -> Internet Connection page) to your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address. You can find your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address in System Log -> IPv6 tab.

I am hoping i have this configured correctly but am not sure.
To be accurate, that was added to the wiki by a user, and not RMerlin. I’m not sure I see why this would be required, but whatever it takes...I have IPv6 disabled at the moment.

To be accurate, that was added to the wiki by a user, and not RMerlin. I’m not sure I see why this would be required, but whatever it takes...I have IPv6 disabled at the moment.

I know this is an older post now, but I didn't know about this and it seemed to not cause issues not having the link-local address there. In fact with DoT enabled I get IPV6 DNS servers from the DNS provider regardless of what's in here. Of course the only IPV6 DNS test I can find is browserleaks.com. So maybe I just have a blind spot.

In case anyone goes looking for this, I’m not sure this message is relevant anymore:

“IMPORTANT: for DNS Privacy to work in IPv6, you must set IPv6 DNS Server in IPv6 page (not equivalent to add IPv6 DoT servers on the WAN -> Internet Connection page) to your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address. You can find your router's LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address in System Log -> IPv6 tab.”

I tested for DNS leaks at several sites with IPV6 set to automatic and no DoT with Quad9 and the ISP DNS showed. Then I turned on DoT and left IPV6 set to automatic and no ISP DNS responses were shown. Just to save anyone else the time if you are wondering.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!