What's new

IPv6 - i am stuck

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
Since i entered the world of wired routers, i have tried to get IPv6 running. I couldn't get it running on the ERL3 and trying to do so, actually messed up my config resulting in frequent log errors. By cheer luck, i got my hands on a Mikrotic RB2011 for free which i now have running in my home network, predominantly because it was rack format and fitted nicely in my server rack. Whilst it is running like a charm, again no luck of an easy set up of IPv6.

Now yesterday, my 2nd Mikrotik router arrived, which i got for cheap on a local 2nd hand site. This is an RB3011UiAS which is again rackmount but much higher specs than the RB2011. So i decided to prep this one into my network but only when everything works the way it should. Until then, it is in a test setup which is

Today, i spent a fair amount of time trying to get IPv6 working but no luck so far.

Here the facts:

1. My router is behind a Home Gateway which has a built in router. My Mikrotik is connected to one of the 4 switch ports of the HGW.
2. My ISP supports IPv6 - i know that for sure. I have an IP and a prefix listed in my HGW.
3. When the ASUS RT-AC88U was my main router, i had IPv6 functionality on all devices using the "IPv6 passthrough" setting in AsusWRT. I am assuming the HGW was distributing them.
4. I can get an IPv6 IP on the Mikrotik DHCP client side when i set it to request an address.
5. Whatever i try, i cannot get a prefix.

Here my thoughts: if the ASUS router could pass through the IPv6 to all devices then surely a more advanced device as an ERL3 or a Mikrotik must be able to get this done, maybe with more effort, but do-able.

Anyone that has a similar situation and be able to help me get it set up?