What's new

Ipv6 native or passthrough?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ellenswamy

Regular Contributor
Hello all!

So I tried to turn on Ipv6 last night using native and set the DNS Servers as my Pihole's. But it appeared to be by passing my Pihole's all together and using my WAN DNS server instead, not sure why. I wasn't sure if I should be using passthrough instead. I have Xfinity and it has full ipv6 support, the modem is in bridge mode and my Asus router (AX-110000) is in router/aimesh mode.

Should I be using native or passthrough mode? and any idea why it is bypassing my Pihole's all together?

Thanks for the help!

I use Xfinity with IPv6 Native just fine.

The DNS server entries on the IPv6 page are the equivalent of WAN DNS servers. IPv6 clients will always use the router as DNS, then dnsmasq will use any of the IPv4 or IPv6 DNS servers upstream.

There are tricks to change that behavior using dnsmasq.postconf.

The DNS server entries on the IPv6 page are the equivalent of WAN DNS servers. IPv6 clients will always use the router as DNS, then dnsmasq will use any of the IPv4 or IPv6 DNS servers upstream.

ah, so that is why my pihole where being bypassed?

I am bit confused how to apply this, any chance you have a detailed step by step on how to do it?

Which router? IPV6 is broken on the AX88. Has been for a while.

ah, so that is why my pihole where being bypassed?
Yes.
did you know your router has the oomph to be able to replace the PiHole entirely? unbound is a network caching rDNS server script, SkyNet is a firewall, diversion is a network level ad-blocker and all are included for easy install with amtm, which is part of the Merlin firmware. The devs have worked with each other and Merlin to make the integration tight and seamless. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how well they all work together, and how easy they've made it for you to have a secure and private home network. I recommend giving it a go - it works very well for 90% or more of the people who set the scripts up in a basic Home/SOHO network scenario.

Yes.
did you know your router has the oomph to be able to replace the PiHole entirely? unbound is a network caching rDNS server script, SkyNet is a firewall, diversion is a network level ad-blocker and all are included for easy install with amtm, which is part of the Merlin firmware. The devs have worked with each other and Merlin to make the integration tight and seamless. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how well they all work together, and how easy they've made it for you to have a secure and private home network. I recommend giving it a go - it works very well for 90% or more of the people who set the scripts up in a basic Home/SOHO network scenario.
How do I install something like this

I'm assuming you have a little familiarity with Command Line/Terminal because of your PiHole, so go to
and you can take it from there. You'll need a USB memory stick/flash drive no smaller than 4-8GB.
all of the scripts work well together and will most likely take care of your dnsmasq stuff mentioned above.

Also, depending on the package speeds from your ISP, consider using one of the QoS schemes available through Merlin. Cake is the easiest, and it's already installed in Merlin, but only if your ISP package speeds are below ~300Mbps; beyond that FlexQoS is popular.

lots of smart helpful people here if you get stuck with anything, including the devs themselves. Good Luck, Have fun!

Which router? IPV6 is broken on the AX88. Has been for a while.
As an AX88U owner, I am curious as to what aspects of IPv6 are broken - what effects does this have?

How do I install something like this
Now that I've processed for a while, you DO have another option: using your PiHole as the router (I understand you can install unbound and similar blocking scripts on it) with your Asus hardware as a WAP.
I can't make a decision as to which is better for your use case (or which is easier/more preferred for you), but either option will streamline your networking setup. If you'll possibly be needing the AiMesh option, then going with Merlin & scripts is probably what to do

Now that I've processed for a while, you DO have another option: using your PiHole as the router (I understand you can install unbound and similar blocking scripts on it) with your Asus hardware as a WAP.
I can't make a decision as to which is better for your use case (or which is easier/more preferred for you), but either option will streamline your networking setup.
I’m running a Pi-Hole router setup currently, and the setup and tweaking is not for the faint of heart.

I can't make a decision as to which is better for your use case (or which is easier/more preferred for you), but either option will streamline your networking setup. If you'll possibly be needing the AiMesh option, then going with Merlin & scripts is probably what to do
I think I am going to stay with using pihole on my raspberry pi's. I am familiar with it and every easy to disable if needed.

Skynet is getting my attention though. I host my own Wireguard server so I guess that would help with that open port

I think I am going to stay with using pihole on my raspberry pi's. I am familiar with it and every easy to disable if needed.

Skynet is getting my attention though. I host my own Wireguard server so I guess that would help with that open port
You need credentials to use the server, but with a v6 connection it might take a while for it to be found by malicious actors who could pound away at it...

but with a v6 connection it might take a while

Not much more time than IPv4 address, depending on some conditions.

So I tried to turn on Ipv6 last night

Don't enable IPv6, if you don't need IPv6. You only make your life more difficult.

Not much more time than IPv4 address, depending on some conditions.

Don't enable IPv6, if you don't need IPv6. You only make your life more difficult.

OP had already decided to flip the switch, and this whole thread has been about making it happen for their network, @Tech9 . Maybe, possibly they might come to agree with you in time. And maybe, possibly it's more difficult in the short term, but the longer term started not so long ago and they might share my perspective. (I'm of a mind to have a backup in place, ready to go, BEFORE it's needed). I'm not sure v4 will go away in our lifetimes, but they've warned us for a long time now that addresses are increasingly scarce.

OP had already decided to flip the switch

OP has to be aware of what flipping that switch really means. The thread linked has explanations what works and what doesn't with IPv6 enabled.

I appreciate the help all! At this point I am seeing what Merlin is capable of, ASUS routers are new to me. I m looking at Merlin add ons and those are pretty cool so I appreciate that!
If all goes well, you'll be Part of the Furniture like ol' @Tech9 and myself before you know it

As an AX88U owner, I am curious as to what aspects of IPv6 are broken - what effects does this have?
Sorry - didn't see your post. I have an AX88 with ATT fiber and it worked just fine in native mode until the 386.3(?). Can't quite remember what firmware broke it. I keep trying every version in both native and passthrough. It's believe it's been mentioned by Merlin. It's an Asus closed source problem of course.