What's new

IPv6 Not Renewing but IPv4 is after Cable Modem Only Reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

murph2481

Occasional Visitor
I was having some issues with my ISP cable modem so I restarted the cable modem and left the router running. After restarting the modem it only reconnected my IPv4 address not my IPv6 address. I had to restart the router after the modem was back up and now I have my IPv6 connectivity again.

My expected behavior is that the IPv6 would renew just like the IPv4 address did when the connection to the cable modem was re-established. Not a major issue here as it takes 1 minute to reboot the router but thought I would share.

Everything else is stable and no issues and connectivity is great otherwise!

Router: N66U
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.33

What type of connection do you have on the IPv6? Tunnel, 6rd, etc...?

change the routers mac and reboot, my if i powered down my cable modem 100 times and left it off i would still come back with the same dynamic ip because i think my isp will sometimes lease ip's for upto a week, but the cmts is giving your device the same ip because it see's the same mac, u can change any single letter or number of your mac address and it will always force and ip change, however i can not be 100% about this for ipv6, though i dont know how it wouldnt work

edit: you also gotta reboot the modem after router mac change, unless your cable provider allows you to pull more then 1 dynamic ip at a time you need to reboot the cable modem to loose the ip's you had aswell

What type of connection do you have on the IPv6? Tunnel, 6rd, etc...?

I am using the Native connection type with Comcast.

I would agree to the other comment other than the fact my IPv4 address is renewed automatically where as I am forced to reboot to reset the IPv6. As I said not a show stopper as it is solved with a quick reboot of the router after rebooting the modem. I just thought I should make a note of it.

I am using the Native connection type with Comcast.

I would agree to the other comment other than the fact my IPv4 address is renewed automatically where as I am forced to reboot to reset the IPv6. As I said not a show stopper as it is solved with a quick reboot of the router after rebooting the modem. I just thought I should make a note of it.

Have you ever looked at the CM tab on your modem (assuming you also have an Arris Docsis 3) I don't know exactly what or how it's counting, but it says I've been issued 6 IPV6 addresses and 0 IPV4? Regardless, both work fine for both DHCP & DNS and the Asus hands out IPV6 to all my devices.

5eda6uze.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!