What's new

IPV6 PUSH PEER INFO AIRVPN AC86U Not working.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mis103

Occasional Visitor
Hi There

So I have an AC86U running merlin 384.16 I use Airvpn config

However I have found an issue which I have contacted Airvpn about who responded with the message at the bottom of this post.

basically when I use the following config option including "Push Peer info" the vpn refuses to connect.

However when I remove Push peer info everything works fine.

resolv-retry infinite
auth-nocache
route-delay 5
explicit-exit-notify 5
setenv UV_IPV6 yes
remote-cert-tls server
Push-peer-info (works when removed)

Is what I am left with,

Is there anything that can be advised regarding this, Currently my connection works If I remove the "Push peer info" option but I do not know the impact of not having this in the vpn config.

When I create the router config file with airvpn I am selecting for the IP Layer Exit both IPV4 and IPV6

Airvpn have said the following

---

Hello!

"push-peer-info" tells OpenVPN to send to the servers the UV custom variables and their value. So it "activates"
setenv UV_IPV6 yes (i.e. send "yes" for variable IPV6, and our servers therefore knows that it must push IPv6 routes).

In general Merlin does support IPv6, but it seems, according to your and other persons reports, that it does not support sharing IPv6 (which goes over IPv4 tunnel) with the devices behind it when an OpenVPN connection is active. We will investigate and we would also suggest that you contact customer care or even Merlin community for clarifications.

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

The router's built-in OpenVPN client doesn't support IPv6.
Correct. And with that line, AirVPN doesn't connect (I have AirVPN also).

And I use push peer info and it's working.
So the problem here is when you use push peer info, it'll activate the set env ipv6 line and doesn't work.
Keep push peer info line and remove ipv6 one.

Many thanks for the clarification,

So can anyone advise the purpose of Push peer info if IPV6 is not enabled?

Is there any plans from Asus to support IPV6 on the Asus routers OpenVPN Client?

I don't know about Asus (and we don't use their OpenVPN implementation anyway). In my case, it's not planned at this moment, due to the large amount of work involved, and the fact that my ISP won't support IPv6 for years, making it next to impossible to implement and test.