What's new

IPv6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scjr

Very Senior Member
My ISP supports IPv6. I had IPv6 turned on in my router and it ran fine.

After I upgraded my router to the latest firmware, I didn’t turn it back on. I see no difference in my internet usage, speeds, ping times, etc.

Do I really need to have IPv6 on?

My thought was: With it off, that’s one less thing to troubleshoot if there are any issues and IPv6 is a long way out before it becomes standard.

I was just wondering from the more experienced folks here, what are your thoughts? Are there any benefit using IPv6 right now?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No there are no benefits at this time. Leaving IPv6 disabled is fine if you don't need it and most do not.

I have IPv6 off. I see no need for it in my current network. I had trouble trying to turn off IPv6 in pfsense back when I ran it. I don't run any more as I am running Cisco hardware router now.

The purpose of IPv6 is to eventually replace IPv4 because of the limited number of IPv4 addresses available. It won't improve your speed except maybe insofar as doing away with the need for translating IP addresses with NAT which will hardly be noticeable.

My problem with ipv6:
Hosts cant get defined by me ipv6 dns but its ok with ipv4
Why?

Last edited: