What's new

IQRouter Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Routing and firewalling are different animals. Are you using one? How are you handling the firewalling.

I am happy with pfsense and a low watt CPU. In my way of thinking there is no reason for a lot of ports on a firewall. You only want one way in and one way out using firewalls.
I am very happy with pfSense. Lately, i haven't touched it anymore and it just does what it needs to do and it does it very well. As i started my own business recently, i may be adding a separate VLAN for the company that isolates it from the rest of the network. Still thinking about it.

I am very happy with pfSense. Lately, i haven't touched it anymore and it just does what it needs to do and it does it very well. As i started my own business recently, i may be adding a separate VLAN for the company that isolates it from the rest of the network. Still thinking about it.
Pfsense works much better than years ago when I first tried it. The updates are much smoother. It kind of runs itself. I have not had any issues with my Cisco L3 switch like before. It has good backing now for pfsense. FreeBSD 14 works well and it is keeping up with hardware and security.

Just want to share something...

I purchased a Netgate SG2440 and they did a policy change with a hard cut-off...

I publicly questioned this over on the reddit forum, and got ban-hammered by ivork - and this was just because of pfSense gold for NetGate HW after a certain date...

Then we can discuss Jim Thompson and the whole OpnSense mess... Jim posts not only as himself, but as an alter-ego (and respods) - not sure what's happening there expect that it is what it is...

On, btw - How about Wireguard and the mess there with the userland implementation - bad enough that the WG guy stepped in...

Seems like they keep kicking own goals after all - I had a working 4G-LTe modem solution for Qualocmm's QMI over BSD, but since they basically did what they did - they missed that opportunity - enough so that i eventually influenced (strongly) the OpenWRT folks to not only pull in full QMI support, but also the luci-app abilites to configure the modem and WAN connection.

I'm not angry at this, just want to mention the mess one might get in to when dealing with pfSesne, NetGate, TNSR, etc

Just want to share something...

I purchased a Netgate SG2440 and they did a policy change with a hard cut-off...

I publicly questioned this over on the reddit forum, and got ban-hammered by ivork - and this was just because of pfSense gold for NetGate HW after a certain date...

Then we can discuss Jim Thompson and the whole OpnSense mess... Jim posts not only as himself, but as an alter-ego (and respods) - not sure what's happening there expect that it is what it is...

On, btw - How about Wireguard and the mess there with the userland implementation - bad enough that the WG guy stepped in...

Seems like they keep kicking own goals after all - I had a working 4G-LTe modem solution for Qualocmm's QMI over BSD, but since they basically did what they did - they missed that opportunity - enough so that i eventually influenced (strongly) the OpenWRT folks to not only pull in full QMI support, but also the luci-app abilites to configure the modem and WAN connection.

I'm not angry at this, just want to mention the mess one might get in to when dealing with pfSesne, NetGate, TNSR, etc
I looked at OpenWRT but I am not really interested in compiling my own x86 code.

The only improvement I would like to see is an update to SNORT for pfsense. I plan to move to it after 23.09 which should be in the next couple of weeks. Wineguard sounds like a mess but I don't use it. Opensense needs to move to FreeBSD 14.