What's new

is a 87u powerful enough to route for 10 access points?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
hey guys! i currently have a 87u with merlin hooked up to about 10 access points,
at the busiest of times, there could be potentially 200 clients but on average there is about 50-80 clients doing a mix of streaming but mostly web browsing i assume. my question is that is the 87u powerful enough to handle this? i havent really tested the network myself when there are tons of clients connected but im just wondering theoretically. the internet connection is a 1gbps btw.

thanks!

hey guys! i currently have a 87u with merlin hooked up to about 10 access points,
at the busiest of times, there could be potentially 200 clients but on average there is about 50-80 clients doing a mix of streaming but mostly web browsing i assume. my question is that is the 87u powerful enough to handle this? i havent really tested the network myself when there are tons of clients connected but im just wondering theoretically. the internet connection is a 1gbps btw.

thanks!

Theoretically, the RT-AC87U isn't powerful enough for a 1Gbps connection (is that up/down?).

But, if nobody is complaining too loudly, don't fix a working system. :)

The RT-AC86U is the next (and really, only) step up for a 1Gbps connection, but unless you have 100+ unique complaints every day for a week, I think the clients are behaving themselves, (so far). :)

Theoretically, the RT-AC87U isn't powerful enough for a 1Gbps connection (is that up/down?).

But, if nobody is complaining too loudly, don't fix a working system. :)

The RT-AC86U is the next (and really, only) step up for a 1Gbps connection, but unless you have 100+ unique complaints every day for a week, I think the clients are behaving themselves, (so far). :)

thanks for the reply, its 1000mbps down and 125 up! i dont really mind if they dont get all the speed, i just dont want them to be getting slowdowns/ disconnections due to the 87u not being able to handle that many clients and connections.

do you think that would ever be the case with the 87u or is it poweerful enough?

otherwise do you think i should update my router to a asus router for all this routing? i dont need the wireless capabilities but i like how it has adaptive qos so im hoping its helping somewhat with all the traffic. would something like a edgerouter be better?

thanks for the reply, its 1000mbps down and 125 up! i dont really mind if they dont get all the speed, i just dont want them to be getting slowdowns/ disconnections due to the 87u not being able to handle that many clients and connections.

do you think that would ever be the case with the 87u or is it poweerful enough?

otherwise do you think i should update my router to a asus router for all this routing? i dont need the wireless capabilities but i like how it has adaptive qos so im hoping its helping somewhat with all the traffic. would something like a edgerouter be better?

You're welcome. :)

Don't worry, with 10 Access Points (hardwired, correct), the RT-AC87U should be able to handle 200 or so clients that are effectively (to it) wired. :)

With a 1Gbps connection, you don't want to use Adaptive QoS (it doesn't work at those speeds).

On the router you're using now, is WiFi turned off? Are there actually 10 AP's? :)

Make sure that you have disabled anything that will turn the hardware acceleration off on your router. Because that will definitely slow down the ISP speed you're nominally reaching.

As I said, don't fix a working system. Guaranteed troubles, sometimes for little gain!

An edgerouter may or may not be a benefit.

What is the network used for and what content is it delivering?

You're welcome. :)

Don't worry, with 10 Access Points (hardwired, correct), the RT-AC87U should be able to handle 200 or so clients that are effectively (to it) wired. :)

With a 1Gbps connection, you don't want to use Adaptive QoS (it doesn't work at those speeds).

On the router you're using now, is WiFi turned off? Are there actually 10 AP's? :)

Make sure that you have disabled anything that will turn the hardware acceleration off on your router. Because that will definitely slow down the ISP speed you're nominally reaching.

As I said, don't fix a working system. Guaranteed troubles, sometimes for little gain!

An edgerouter may or may not be a benefit.

What is the network used for and what content is it delivering?

yes there hardwired! and darn i just upgraded to the 1 gbps so should prob turn that off

on the ac87u the main router it still has wifi on because it covers some area itself (but i could shut it off if it benefits routing performance) and with my count rn there is 9 access points as of rn but may be adding a couple more

last i checked i believe hw acceleration is still on!

its just supplying a small motel who had old asus routers and wanted to utilize them for access points rather then spending $2000 on new setup

content is just regular web browsing and streaming i assume

do you know if there is any way if i can check if the 87u is experiencing problems handling this load? or is it only when the customers complain to me

Make sure that HW acceleration is on, turn off QoS and enjoy the performance you now have. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!