What's new

Is a Sonicwall TZ100 adequate for a 30mbps Internet Connection ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bluelude1

New Around Here
I currently have a Sonicwall TZ180 that worked fine for my old 4mbps internet connection, but when I moved I upgraded to a 20mbps plan and was immediately bottle necked at 10mbps when I connected the TZ180. I currently have 3 users and a server behind the firewall and was told by Sonicwall Sales that a TZ210 was really where I needed to go to remedy the issue. I am having an issue wrapping my head around the price tag of a TZ210 for my needs even if I decide to jump up to the 30mbps plan.

Would a TZ100 be an adequate upgrade from the TZ180 (even if I upgrade to a 30mbps plan) or do I really need to jump up higher?

Thanks in advance

Take a look at the specs.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/13281.html

A TZ100 is rated 25Mbps for UTM, A TZ200 is rated for 35Mbps UTM, a TZ210 is rated 50Mbps.

So that's why they told you what they did. Although a TZ200 would be fine, you don't need a TZ210.

Those ratings should be with ALL UTM features enabled. If you disabled some, that should increase UTM throughput ratings on any given model, possibly slotting you intoa TZ100 and still being able to achieve a full 30Mbps. But I would confirm that with SonicWall.

The total # of users has an effect as well. They may have told you TZ210 to have extra user headroom, but I'd have to hope sonicwall did those tests with at least 3 users to come up with the spec #'s.

Last edited:
Are you set on Sonicwall?

Do you plan on using all UTM features and paying the annual subscription fee to use them?

I am not necessarily set on Sonicwall, but any other option would have to be as easy, effective & cheaper. Most of the other options I saw could accomplish one or two of these, but not all 3.

Its kinda of frustrating that a business class device like a Sonicwall isn't capable of supporting common modern broadband speeds without having to jump up to the more serious hardware. I understand support for 100mbps connection speeds because they aren't all that common yet, but you can get a 50mbps plan on a residential account now.

The TZ100 will support 100Mbps connection as a stateful firewall. But once you add in more advanced features, the maximum throughput goes down. So if you just want a stateful firewall w/NAT, a TZ100 is all you need. But if you want to use more advanced security tha tis supported by UTM features, you need a more powerful box, because those things cause higher CPU load.

I am not necessarily set on Sonicwall, but any other option would have to be as easy, effective & cheaper. Most of the other options I saw could accomplish one or two of these, but not all 3.

Its kinda of frustrating that a business class device like a Sonicwall isn't capable of supporting common modern broadband speeds without having to jump up to the more serious hardware. I understand support for 100mbps connection speeds because they aren't all that common yet, but you can get a 50mbps plan on a residential account now.

Well, I find Zyxel USG firewalls to be plenty easy, effective and definitely more bang for the buck. For one, they don't charge for firmware updates or phone support. Consider total cost of ownership when determining value.

USG200 supports 3 WAN connections, has all GigE ports and will do 45Mb/s with UTM features on. About $600

USG300 supports more than 3 WAN connections, has all GigE ports and will do 70Mb/s with UTM on. About $950

I always recommend you have some buffer, so don't expect a 45Mb/s throughput to give you the full 45Mb/s. Those spec sheet figures are under optimum conditions that rarely pan out in the real world. Figure 10% less to be realistic. Same hold true for Sonicwall.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!