is a USB 2.0 flash drive fast enough for use with asuswrt-merlin + add ons?

ERamseth2

Occasional Visitor
Basically what the title says.

(Apologies if this has been posted before but the forum doesn't like you to search with the keywords "usb" and "2.0")

I want to avoid any 2.4ghz interference issues and run the usb ports at 2.0 speed. Will that allow for fast enough storage for use with entware and other add-ons? (Specifically adguard home / diversion, skynet, flexqos, yazfi)

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Basically what the title says.

(Apologies if this has been posted before but the forum doesn't like you to search with the keywords "usb" and "2.0")

I want to avoid any 2.4ghz interference issues and run the usb ports at 2.0 speed. Will that allow for fast enough storage for use with entware and other add-ons? (Specifically adguard home / diversion, skynet, flexqos, yazfi)
Yes! I would just use Diversion and yazfi. FlexQOS does not use the USB and that is OK.

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
Will that allow for fast enough storage for use with entware and other add-ons?

Yes, but USB flash drives are unreliable and you may have to replace the drive from time to time and redo your setup. Many reports of failed USB sticks around. Use a small SSD in external enclosure instead. Less heat to the router's port and much longer life. It will perhaps outlive your router.

ERamseth2

Occasional Visitor
Yes, but USB flash drives are unreliable and you may have to replace the drive from time to time and redo your setup. Many reports of failed USB sticks around. Use a small SSD in external enclosure instead. Less heat to the router's port and much longer life. It will perhaps outlive your router.
Yeah im familiar with that. In my experience if you get a good usb flash drive you'll be OK. I basically use the higher end Samsung USB flash drives. Have run them for years without issue.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Hmm... Some thumb drives are unreliable. However, I have a PNY 2 GB that I have had for years and used for swap/entware apps on at least my last three Asus routers. I also have several SanDisk thumbdrives I use for OS on a RPI4 and other techie functions. Come to think if it, I have only had one thumb drive ever fail. That was a PNY and it was replaced under warranty and the replacement worked very well. Stick with trusted brands and you will have little trouble.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Off topic I guess but is there a reason you recommend diversion over adguard home?
Yes. Diversion can be used to block adds just like Pi-Hole (uses the same blocklist). DNS is better to use Quad9, Cleanbrowsing security or Cloudflare Secure with DoT. DNSSEC can also be used but could have some issues at times. I do not feel that Skynet adds anything for my use.

Tech9

Part of the Furniture

garycnew

All my AiMesh Nodes make use of SanDisk 2.0 Flash Drives. I've had a couple of them die on me. I've found as long as you backup any custom configs or they are redundant between installations–losing one isn't a big deal. Simply throw a new Flash Drive in and use amtm to built it back out, copy the configs over, and you're back in business. The amtm folks have really made the process easy. Thanks, Guys!

garycnew

I had another SanDisk 2.0 die on me, today. Already back up and running with a replacement using amtm. Thanks, again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!