1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Is ASUS WebStorage a real ASUS service?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by XIII, Jul 20, 2018.

1. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

This might seem a stupid question (and maybe it is), but is ASUS WebStorage (on www.asuswebstorage.com) a real ASUS service?

Today I received an offer (to backup 1 TB for $13.49/year instead of $99.99/year) on an email address that has been spam free, but I never heard of this service. The copyright mentions "ASUS Cloud Corporation" as the owner. The website of that company (www.asuscloud.com) is signed by Let's Encrypt.

Is this a spammer, or did ASUS suddenly start sending commercial offers?

I usually opt-out if offers are from a legit company, but if it's a spammer I just delete the mail (don't want to confirm my email address being used). So I can use some advise: which option is right in this case?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Got another email today.

What’s the verdict on this?

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

If you don't trust it, don't use it...

Tencent is offering 10GB free - just need to keep your data in the China Cloud ;)

5. kvic

kvic Part of the Furniture

asuswebstorage dot com (as well as asuscloud dot com) looks like a ASUS company and has been in business since 2008..

6. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Thanks. Did not know this. Guess it’s safe to hit the unsubscribe link then?

7. kvic

If you reside in Europe, ask ASUS companies with GDPR empowerment..how did they get your email address in the first place. LOL

8. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

I now see that this cloud service/company is mentioned on the official ASUS website:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1010043

ASUS has my email address because I used it to register my devices via their VIP account on https://account.asus.com/

According to 1Password I created an entry for that way before the GDPR became effective...

9. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

The unsubscribe seems to confirm that they used my ASUS account:

ASUS Cloud ID: <my email address; redacted> will no longer receive the latest news about WebStorage.

10. kvic

I wonder after GDPR will it be lawful?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!