What's new

Is 'Asustor Support' an oxymoron?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeeperDon

Occasional Visitor
<rant>
I have a 2 yr old Asustor 5104. It was fine for 18+ months, then maybe 4-5 months ago it started crashing and getting "LAN unplugged/replugged" errors. The crashes are anywhere from once a week to 5 times a day. I've been working with their support ticket system for months with nothing done other than me implementing a logging method they wanted and sending them the results. Zero done to actually fix the problem. I gave them an ultimatum today (via ticket reply), "I'm tired of waiting, fix or replace NOW!", will see where that goes.
</rant>

I'm seriously considering buying a Synology DS1517+ (clean up and sell the Asustor). The Synology box is newer, better performance, and has another slot, but does Synology have better support than Asustor?
icon_toast.gif

Last edited:
Surprised you're having issues - it's been rumored to be a pretty decent machine, similar to QNAP's TS-450Pro (actually a close of it) - but it does sound like you're in a tech support loop -- which happens - so the thing is to break the loop, not deliver ultimatums on the same ticket - ask for the escalation to the next tier of support.

Synology has a good support reputation I've heard... and this is a common thought on the forums here... but I'm a QNAP customer...

QNAP - from first hand, they're good - but at the same time, it's odd - for a noob, might be frustrating, but for someone that has a lot of dev experience with data center/carrier level - I ask a direct question, get a direct answer, and it's usually the correct answer.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree on the don't-give-ultimatums approach, just be nice, but persistent. However, less than 24 hrs after my nastygram ticket update, I got a firmware update fix to try. It's a custom tweak on their prior version, but at least it's something to address the crashing. It's installed now and as I type here I'm grinding though some work that caused 5 crashes in a day last time I did it (couple TB data copy from NAS to local PC, a partial NAS backup).

On the other side, I did order the Synology DS1517+, be here tomorrow. I'll be a two-NAS household for a bit before I sell the Asustor.
icon_toast.gif

QNAP - from first hand, they're good - but at the same time, it's odd - for a noob, might be frustrating, but for someone that has a lot of dev experience with data center/carrier level - I ask a direct question, get a direct answer, and it's usually the correct answer.

Agreed. I contacted them a few months ago for clarification about the raid migration procedure for a customer (I was replacing their filled HDDs with larger ones), asked some direct questions on which steps of the operations would require downtime. Got a very straight answer out of them, from someone who seemed genuinely knowledgeable, and not just a script reader. I was pleased.

I had to deal once or twice with Asustor's tech support (I own a 5004T), and it was generally positive (altho not on the same level as with QNAP). I suppose it depends as much on the type of problem as on the person that takes your case.

Thanks guys. I just talked on the phone with Synology Tech Support, which on it's own makes things better that Asustor, which has no working US phone support.

So far the new Asustor f/w update I installed this morning seems to be working. As I type here I'm doing a lot of backing up from old NAS to spare HDDs on my desk. The last time I did that I had 5 NAS crashes in a day. So far, 8 hours, no crashes. I'm still keeping the new Synology though, feels right to have an upgrade of hdw. [I'm a retired senior citizen, and in retirement your money is best used to make you happy. A new fancy NAS makes me happy.:)]
icon_toast.gif

Thanks guys. I just talked on the phone with Synology Tech Support, which on it's own makes things better that Asustor, which has no working US phone support.

So far the new Asustor f/w update I installed this morning seems to be working. As I type here I'm doing a lot of backing up from old NAS to spare HDDs on my desk. The last time I did that I had 5 NAS crashes in a day. So far, 8 hours, no crashes. I'm still keeping the new Synology though, feels right to have an upgrade of hdw. [I'm a retired senior citizen, and in retirement your money is best used to make you happy. A new fancy NAS makes me happy.:)]
icon_toast.gif
Mine is a 6104T, having (likely) a simple issue of the Photo Gallery app not installing. Submitted a ticket in Nov 2019 and this is April, still they couldn't fix the issue. Of course no telephone support for North America, even the written communication is quite poor and not result oriented. Wasted a lot of my time back and forth without resolution. Thinking of replacing it. People mistakes Asus with Asustor, they by and large, hugely different, nowhere close. Even though only online support, but Asustor has very poor support ethics. Not worth the time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!