What's new

Solved Is IPV6 DDNS on ASUSWRT possible? (Asus RT-AX53U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TokoYulip

New Around Here
My ISP currently changes my IP addresses every week or so. Is there anyway for me to have DDNS for my IPV6 so that it updates by itself (on the router itself without PC) without me having to do it manually? Currently using NO-IP/DuckDNS via DNS-O-Matic, but that solution only updates my public IPV4 and I still have to update my IPV6 manually. It gets annoying when I forget to update my IPV6 address manually and can't access my computer/router/server remotely. I don't have any of the common solution available since they usually utilize features available in ASUSWRT-Merlin which doesn't support my router. Would OpenWRT's Asus RT-AX53U snapshot build be my only option or can I somehow install DDClient on my Asus router through SSH? I'm a complete layman when it comes to command-line usage (or anything more technical then a cd command really) so OpenWRT snapshots not having a GUI puts me off.

Asus latest firmware supports IPv6 DDNS. However, check whether your router gets WAN IPv6 address under GUI's System Log -> IPv6

Then registering Asus's own DDNS service along with Let's Encrypt certificate is possible. However, you might want to add your WAN IPv6 under router's IPv6 firewall exceptions.

Another solution is to install Asus app on your iOS or Android device and bind the router to your asus account. This way, you can access router even with CG-NAT or Dynamic IPv6.

Another solution is to install Tailscale on all the computers and access them via remote desktop via Tailscale LAN IP which the app assigns your PC. Setting up Static route to your Router is possible on any system that is running 24x7 like Raspberry Pi. So you can access your asus router from anywhere and from any device which has tailscale installed.

You have literally got 3-4 ways to access your router now.
I have QNAP and I installed Tailscale on it. Here is a little guide I wrote to set a static route to my Asus router from QNAP NAS.

Last edited:
Asus latest firmware supports IPv6 DDNS. However, check whether your router gets WAN IPv6 address under GUI's System Log -> IPv6

Then registering Asus's own DDNS service along with Let's Encrypt certificate is possible. However, you might want to add your WAN IPv6 under router's IPv6 firewall exceptions.

Another solution is to install Asus app on your iOS or Android device and bind the router to your asus account. This way, you can access router even with CG-NAT or Dynamic IPv6.

Another solution is to install Tailscale on all the computers and access them via remote desktop via Tailscale LAN IP which the app assigns your PC. Setting up Static route to your Router is possible on any system that is running 24x7 like Raspberry Pi. So you can access your asus router from anywhere and from any device which has tailscale installed.

I have QNAP and I installed Tailscale on it. Here is a little guide I wrote to set a static route to my Asus router from QNAP NAS.

I was under the impression that my router does not provide IPV6 DDNS because any solution that I've used already built into the system itself (Asus DDNS/NO-IP/etc) does not work. I can confirm this because I'm unable to send magic packets to my router/PC when connected to my mobile service provider but was able to do so when connected to the same network via Wifi and any IP Resolver/IP Hostname Lookup service that I apply my DDNS Hostname to only shows my public IPV4 address but not my IPV6. This might be due to having to setup the Firewall exception like you said but I haven't gotten it to work thus far even when having the Firewall configured.

Other than that, binding my Asus router to my Asus account does seem to work but the connection is extremely unreliable. I'd have frequent timeouts and disconnections. Even if I was somehow able to connect to my router via the app, sending magic packets through the Asus App is extremely unreliable so far in my experience because I'd no way of knowing whether the magic packets were sent or not (Wireshark shows that the magic packets go through only 1/4 of the time and I have absolutely no idea why). Even trying to connect to the router via a OpenVPN connection does not seem to work as connecting to it is practically impossible when trying to do so from my mobile service provider. I'm slightly inclined to believe it may be a problem with my mobile service provider instead of the Asus Router itself that I'm unable to connect to it via the app but I can't change service providers due to my current one being the cheapest unlimited data plan available in my country.

I'm open to installing a third-party software like Tailscale but I don't have any devices that is running 24/7 connected to the router (other than the router itself). Which was why I'm trying to setup a Wake-On-Lan solution on my PC via either the Asus App or any other WOL apps through IPV6 address but the magic packets are not going through the DDNS I've setup with Asus's service because of my Hostname not resolving to my IPV6 address and the Asus App currently not being a reliable connection to the router.

@TokoYulip If your use case is to wake up PCs (which is same as me), I am doing that via Asus App and it's 100% reliable and never timed out. Sending WOL packets via app has been flawless for me. This does not require port forwarding or adding IPv6 of the clients to router's IPv6 firewall exception list. WOL does not work on IPv6. I have tried too hard and failed even harder. Due to ARP tables mess on AsusWRT, you cannot do port forwarding on IPv4 either (Why WOL fails from external WOL apps has been discussed at length here and Asus will not do jack squat for it). It will work for 10 mins and then fail. So best and only way to wake devices on your network is via Asus router Web GUI or through Asus app. But you have to add devices to WOL page from web GUI first.

Your frequent timeouts and disconnections in the app indicate ISP or mobile services inter-connectivity problem.

Regarding accessing your PCs from outside, you can try out noip.com free DDNS service which supports AAAA IPv6 hostname and install their DDNS client on your Windows PCs. So whenever it detects change in IPv6 address, it updates your chosen hostname. So you remote desktop via hostname.

Negatives of noip approach:
1 You will have to disable IPv6 firewall in your router btw.
2. Device you are using to connect must also have a working IPv6.
3. You might have to disable Windows temporary IPv6 assignment.

Last edited:

I have an AX88U. I have IPv6 and it looks like it's working. IPv4 it's under private NAT. Trying to access my Cloud DIsk through Asus DDNS that once worked when I had IPv4. Not working at all. Even disabled pe ipv6 firewall, didn't worked.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!