What's new

Is it ok to buy RT-AX86U from US to use in NZ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

Looking to get one from eBay which is $170 + $50 shipping. Anything I need to be aware of frequency wise? Is the power adapter multi voltage? Also is the cable replaceable that goes from power adaptor to wall?

you will not be able to change country code from US to NZ. Looks like wi-fi channels are similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels but you should avoid DFS frequency.
it is not common to have pawer adaptor build in - I had in the past D-Link DIR 868L with EU and USA option but never see it in Asus. I bought adaptor for 1USD. Most of situation input AC 100-240V (is power supply original? ) but the best way is to ask seller to confirm.

most users do not need AX86U and maybe in NZ you can find AX86S. Asus starting from AC5300 (long time ago) start to encrypt CFE (you cannot change region now) therefore the safest way is to buy product that are made for your market.

it is not easy question - I got situation in the past buying router in USA and using in EU all was working OK but one of Samsung device did not connect to it. The same router/revision but EU code no connections issue.

Last edited:
you will not be able to change country code from US to NZ. Looks like wi-fi channels are similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels but you should avoid DFS frequency.
it is not common to have pawer adaptor build in - I had in the past D-Link DIR 868L with EU and USA option but never see it in Asus. I bought adaptor for 1USD. Most of situation input AC 100-240V (is power supply original? ) but the best way is to ask seller to confirm.

most users do not need AX86U and maybe in NZ you can find AX86S. Asus starting from AC5300 (long time ago) start to encrypt CFE (you cannot change region now) therefore the safest way is to buy product that are made for your market.

it is not easy question - I got situation in the past buying router in USA and using in EU all was working OK but one of Samsung device did not connect to it. The same router/revision but EU code no connections issue.
Thanks @Adooni Is 86S also good? Why is it cheaper?

Anything I need to be aware of frequency wise?
Why is it cheaper?

I really don't understand questions like this.

Do you see the differences between the two models on the link below?

I strongly believe you can open it from New Zealand.

Can you reach Wikipedia?

Not the best source, but as an example.

Last edited:
Check whether NZ Wifi frequency allocations are the same as AUS - shouldn’t be too hard.

AUS wifi frequencies are supported - user selectable.