What's new

Is it ok to move entware to /jffs partition?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

General5

New Around Here
Hi,

I moved entware to /jffs partition after installing it to USB storage.

I installed aria2 package and following is my configuration:

1. move the entware directory from USB storage to /jffs partition.

2. Create a symbol link from /jffs/entware to /tmp/opt

3. Create an init-start script which used to create symbol link from /jffs/entware to /tmp/opt

4. Update the post-mount script to contain two logic

* create symbol link from $1/aria2 to /opt/var/aria2(the download dir inside)
* sleep 10 seconds and restart the aria2 service

The service-start script was called after post-mount script, it did not work in my environment even there is a 30 seconds sleep. Any one can tell me why?

so I added the restart command in post-mount script, it worked.

And is there any bad impact on my router(RT-AC68U)? Data loss in my environment is tolerated.

From the Jffs page I saw these messages:

I do not recommend doing frequent writes to this area, as it will prematurely wear out the flash chip. This is a good place to put files that are written once like scripts or kernel modules, or that rarely get written to. Do not put files that get constantly written to (such as high activity logfiles) - store these on a USB disk instead. Replacing a worn out USB flash disk is much cheaper than replacing the whole router if flash sectors get worn out - they have a limited number of write cycles.

Since I only use aria2 and aria2 can't work without the USB storage, so I think it's better to put entware to USB storage.

/tmp/opt is already a symbolic link to /tmp/mnt/"whatever your entware usb partition is called"/entware.arm so it seems like a convoluted way of running it.
Jffs is only a small flash partition.... so while you can make entware work there, you may fill it pretty quickly with a few packages installed. Also its not such a good idea to be continuously writing data to flash memory, even though its supposed to be good for thousands of writes.

/tmp/opt is already a symbolic link to /tmp/mnt/"whatever your entware usb partition is called"/entware.arm so it seems like a convoluted way of running it.
Jffs is only a small flash partition.... so while you can make entware work there, you may fill it pretty quickly with a few packages installed. Also its not such a good idea to be continuously writing data to flash memory, even though its supposed to be good for thousands of writes.

Thanks, the /tmp/opt is linked in the post-mount script that provided by entware.

There are some binary and configuration such as a reverse proxy that I don't change too often, so I think it's ok to put them in Jffs.

As I said before, the service could not start if putting the package suach as aria2 to USB storage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!