What's new

Is it possible to add Ethernet port to guest network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bork

New Around Here
I have two XT8, sharing my internet with three studio apartments i rent out. I have set up 3 different guest network for them to use, however one of them is constantly complaining on his wireless network being unavailable. So now I am looking for the possibility to add a cabled connection to "his" guest network as I dont want them to have access to my personal network.

So either to limit lan access on either ethernet port, ip or mac. Is this possible?

With Asus factory firmware I would say no. However, you could extend the WIFI with an AiMesh node on Guest 1. An RP-AX56 supports AiMesh or an inexpensive AC router such as the RT-AC66U_B1. Just do not put the mesh node in the other apartment as connecting to it with an Ethernet cable will give the other guy access to your LAN.

With Asus factory firmware I would say no. However, you could extend the WIFI with an AiMesh node on Guest 1. An RP-AX56 supports AiMesh or an inexpensive AC router such as the RT-AC66U_B1. Just do not put the mesh node in the other apartment as connecting to it with an Ethernet cable will give the other guy access to your LAN.
Thanks - I already have a 2nd node just outside his apartment, hence why I want to revert to physical connection as also this is still giving him issues. I think it must be some interference. But thanks for suggestion, I am aware I should not do this.

I am playing with both iptables, and nvram cfg_device_list - as I see this change if I enable/disable local access for a guest network. But I dont really know what I am doing, so how to reach end goal doesn't seem clear to me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!