What's new

Is it possible to setup more than one bridge using WNHDE111?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yukit

Occasional Visitor
I have a pair of WNHDE111s (WNHDEB111 actually) to bridge my office & living room. Works well enough for streaming HD content.

I was wondering if I can add another WNHDE111 bridge to reach my den like the following:

WNHDE111 (ap) ---------------------- WNHDE111 (br)
|
+------------------------------------- WNHDE111 (br)

Or may be I can get a WNDR3300 instead:

WNDR3300 --------------------------- WNHDE111 (br)
|
+------------------------------------- WNHDE111 (br)

I suppose having two bridges can affect the wireless throughput, so maybe the only good solution is to get another pair of WNHDE111s to setup a separate bridge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I haven't tried the WNHDE111's, but it seems to me that one's running as a standard AP and the other's running as a client bridge. In this case, it should be possible to add another client bridge, as it's just like adding another client. It should similarly be possible to use the two of them as client mode bridges to any wireless router / AP.

There are several alternatives you could consider.

1. A simultaneous dual-band router as the main AP. This will let you get to your second configuration, but also add the possibility of running additional clients / bridges on 2.4 GHz. E.g. Linksys WRT610N.

2. Assuming (1) is redundant as you already have a 2.4 GHz router/AP, then adding a 2.4 GHz client bridge. E.g. D-Link DAP-1522. This is actually a (non-simultaneous) dual-band client bridge / AP, which gives you additional options, and doesn't even require a 2.4 GHz network as a precondition. This device also has a decent 4-port gigabit switch.

I suggest sticking with 5 GHz, as it's less crowded and tends to perform better in crowded environments assuming distances and obstructions aren't significant issues. 2.4 GHz gives you additional configuration option, with the risk that the 2.4 GHz parts won't be as fast because of crowding and legacy concerns. These are just options for you to consider per your own circumstances.

I haven't tried the WNHDE111's, but it seems to me that one's running as a standard AP and the other's running as a client bridge. In this case, it should be possible to add another client bridge, as it's just like adding another client. It should similarly be possible to use the two of them as client mode bridges to any wireless router / AP.
I would think multiple client mode bridges would work, but I was not sure if that would affect the overall throughput at the AP. This is why I was even considering a parallel set of WNHDE111s configured at different channel & ssid to minimize the interference.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried such setup with good results.
There are several alternatives you could consider.
1. A simultaneous dual-band router as the main AP. This will let you get to your second configuration, but also add the possibility of running additional clients / bridges on 2.4 GHz. E.g. Linksys WRT610N.

2. Assuming (1) is redundant as you already have a 2.4 GHz router/AP, then adding a 2.4 GHz client bridge. E.g. D-Link DAP-1522. This is actually a (non-simultaneous) dual-band client bridge / AP, which gives you additional options, and doesn't even require a 2.4 GHz network as a precondition. This device also has a decent 4-port gigabit switch.
Actually, I already have a 801.11g @2.4 router/bridge to the den already. So I am basically considering an upgrade from 801.11g to 11n @5Ghz.
I left out the existing bridge from my original question to make my post very concise.

Thanks,

I would think multiple client mode bridges would work, but I was not sure if that would affect the overall throughput at the AP. This is why I was even considering a parallel set of WNHDE111s configured at different channel & ssid to minimize the interference.

Of course adding multiple bridges or clients can affect overall throughput, as wireless bandwidth is a limited shared resource. If you have a lot of concurrent traffic in mind to two or more destinations and need high bandwidth for all of them, your best bet might be multiple 5 GHz AP-bridge pairs as you proposed. If you don't need high bandwidth to every point and want to save more money, etc., you could put some devices on the 2.4 GHz band as an alternative to "crowding" the 5 GHz band.