What's new

Is it possible to use public IP block on the LAN side of RT-AC66U_B1? Need some help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Karolinska

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
I'm an "IT guy" of a student organizatoin. Recently, I applied a /29 subnet (13*.***.***.96/29 with a dedicated router interconnection address 12*.**.*.212) from our campus IT service and I'm going to put them into use. There will be a tower server (hosting 2 Wordpress blogs, an IRC, an FTP and a Minecraft server, all public facing), a desktop workstation and several portable devices (our own laptops and mobiles, would put them behind NAT) in this network.

I got a switch, an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 and an Apple AirPort Extreme, is it possible for us to fully use this /29 subnet? Is it possible to use public IP block on the LAN side of ASUS router? Would inbuilt Trend Micro firewall of RT-AC 66U_B1 still working in this situation? How should I configure the router?

Reconfigure DHCP server to offer that DHCP scope and disable NAT.
Instead of doing port forwarding, you'll have to add rules to ipv4 firewall.
It's simple and it works!

Trend Micro doesn't provide firewall for Asus. Firewall it's iptables.
Trend Micro provides what's called AiProtection. And I would avoid it at all costs! It is CPU intensive and 66U doesn't have the horse power.
Personally I failed to see the benefits and I'm not using it even though my router is powerful.

Reconfigure DHCP server to offer that DHCP scope and disable NAT.
Instead of doing port forwarding, you'll have to add rules to ipv4 firewall.
It's simple and it works!

Trend Micro doesn't provide firewall for Asus. Firewall it's iptables.
Trend Micro provides what's called AiProtection. And I would avoid it at all costs! It is CPU intensive and 66U doesn't have the horse power.
Personally I failed to see the benefits and I'm not using it even though my router is powerful.
Thanks for reply. What I noticed in this configuration, is the router have to take 2 public addresses (13*.***.***.97 and 12*.**.*.212), and another 2 addresses should be reserved for network ID and broadcasting, that's really a waste but seems I have no other options.