What's new

ntpMerlin is it possible...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
I've just noticed that in the GUI tab, the Latest Timeserver Stats chart updates every 10 min.
@Jack Yaz is it possible in the config to record entries to this chart every X polls that chrony makes? I've my minpoll set at 6, which is 2^6 or 64 seconds. 10 mins is 600 sec, but chrony does a minimum of 9 checks in those 10 mins by my config...chrony and the chart only sync a couple of times a day the way it is now. would there be any benefit to setting the data posting to every 12 or 15 or 20 chrony polls...I wouldn't want more datapoints for the charts, but maybe this would smooth some out? somehow I think that there has to be a routine that takes into account poll time vs data recording point, if there isn't already...somehow every 10 min is random, and in my mind should correlate with how many times chrony checks sources
I may not be explaining myself well or I may be off in left field...coffee hasn't fully kicked in yet.

I use the "filter" chrony configuration parameter to do just this at the chrony level rather than at the ntpMerlin level
Code:
server 192.168.50.230 minpoll -6 maxpoll 6 polltarget 60 filter 15
It smoothed out the offset outliers by an order of magnitude.

Internal monologue: mumble grumble read the freakin' manpage, you know better...

thank you @EmeraldDeer - an order of magnitude...wow! I bet that will help a bunch of folks including me!

UPDATE: can confirm this helps not insignificantly. I'm not sure if the order of polltarget/filter after min/maxpoll has an affect - I'm filtering before targeting

Last edited:
I use the "filter" chrony configuration parameter to do just this at the chrony level rather than at the ntpMerlin level
Code:
server 192.168.50.230 minpoll -6 maxpoll 6 polltarget 60 filter 15
It smoothed out the offset outliers by an order of magnitude.
Just to make sure I've read your settings and the manpage correctly, you've set your chrony to poll between every 1/64 sec and 64 sec, prefer the minpoll (or that end of the range) with polltarget and filter (average) every 15 samples to one value...no wonder you've smoothed things out. how else has that benefited your network? (now I'm curious to see your QoS settings and spdMerlin for comparison to your package speeds)

Just to make sure I've read your settings and the manpage correctly, you've set your chrony to poll between every 1/64 sec and 64 sec, prefer the minpoll (or that end of the range) with polltarget and filter (average) every 15 samples to one value...no wonder you've smoothed things out. how else has that benefited your network? (now I'm curious to see your QoS settings and spdMerlin for comparison to your package speeds)
Yes, that is what the chrony settings do for a GPS-connected NTP server on my LAN. Polling tends to vary between 0 and 2. This level of time performance has no benefits to the network, I am just interested in the topic. I use all of the default recommended settings for FlexQOS with 90% of package speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!