What's new

Is it time for new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have Asus AC5300 router and wondering if it's time to get a new router?

• Total voters

MielleWb

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
Pretty much a noob here but like to read and always fascinated by networking. I have the ASUS AC 5300 and just wanted to get a sense of what the pros, i.e., you folks, think maybe it's time for new router. I set up a poll so hopefully it won't take much time to reply. Regardless, thanks to those that do reply and to all for sharing your vast expertise in networking. Special shoutout to Merlin who has helped me tremendously over the years, Thanks Merlin!

Hello all,
Pretty much a noob here but like to read and always fascinated by networking. I have the ASUS AC 5300 and just wanted to get a sense of what the pros, i.e., you folks, think maybe it's time for new router. I set up a poll so hopefully it won't take much time to reply. Regardless, thanks to those that do reply and to all for sharing your vast expertise in networking. Special shoutout to Merlin who has helped me tremendously over the years, Thanks Merlin!
The only reason why you would want to upgrade is because of WiFi-6 but if you don't have such devices in your home, i would say stick with what you got untill you actually have the need to upgrade.

The only reason why you would want to upgrade is because of WiFi-6 but if you don't have such devices in your home, i would say stick with what you got untill you actually have the need to upgrade.
Thank you exactly what I needed to hear. I have no wifi 6 so I'm good with the 5300. Thanks again!

Your router with no TrendMicro bloatware can do 940Mbps on LAN and 940Mbps aggregate on Wi-Fi to 2x common 2-stream AC clients. If you have extra cash and you wonder what to do with it - upgrade tomorrow. You may want to upgrade to CPU with AES support router, if you need faster VPN on the router. Yours can do about 50Mbps on OpenVPN, newer router can do 250Mbps (selected models). Newer models can also do Cake QoS and Wireguard VPN. Basically, you are the only one with the right answer to your own question. It depends what do you need and what do you expect.

Thank you! I like the way you think and you have given me a lot more information to research and learn. Thanks again!

I just replaced my AC5300. If your router is working ok there is no need for a replacement. My ac5300, was constantly dropping the 2.4Ghz network (the whole thing), and having issues successfully streaming video from a wired computer to a 5Ghz appleTv, in direct line of sight. No amount of reflashing, rebooting, or resetting fixed the issues, so I decided it must be a problem with the router hardware… fwiw I temporarily got a TP-link AX55 router (cheap), which is VERY reliable, although I hope to go back to back to ASUS+Merlin once Wifi 6E is an option, and affordable.

Thank you for the reply. I had a similar issue with the 5300 while using my laptop. 2.4 connection would drop. I disabled the onboard Intel adapter and used the 5300 USB adapter I bought and so far all good. I'm leaning towards keeping the 5300 as it appears to still be a solid choice. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I stream 4K to my 85 inch TV using an AppleTV 4K and I have no problems. It has been this way for over a year. I had my AppleTV connected with wire using a power adapter and switched because someone on here was having an issue. My AppleTV worked so well over wireless as it did across a power adapter that I never changed it back. I use a Cisco WAP581 wireless AP.