What's new

Is it TP-Link or GoCoax?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mballew

New Around Here
Who is making my life miserable, I'm getting a constant intermittent time outs ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT then most of the time after another try or few seconds the page renders. This happens on both wifi and ethernet, last night the TV wifi connection kept dropping, I've tried different channels and various combinations of 2.4 and 5G usage. I've approached both Gocoax support with little help, stating it seems that it's not likely the moca adaptor, so I went to TP-link and they are slow to help. Router lights stay green. I know it has to be one of these as I have another desktop connected directly to cable modem with no connectivity issues. Any guidance in which to pursue would be greatly appreciated?

Equipment:
GoCoax 2.5 - only one pairing setup
Tp-link Archer A7
POE in place before main splitter

GoCoax suggested using a splitter to modem and gocoax adapt, then connect ethernet to router.

Are the sync lights stable on the gocoax modem ?
is any of the coax shared with the ISP coax modem ? is it DocCis 3.1 or 3.0 ?

We need 1) network layout map showing all devices and connections, 2) brand and model # of the splitter(s) - are they moca2.0 rated and certified if the coax path for GoCoax devices is part of the network ?

look at the diagnostic page in the gocoax modem
use iperf to run bandwidth tests between end points on local lan.

Deleted last post by mistake was trying to upload new diagram with white background so you could read it.
Anyways, as I was saying, the equipment is relatively new, splitters are holland moca compliant. Something strange did happen this evening when we couldn't connect over wifi to watch soccer on Peacock my son decided to unplug the gocoax adapter and all of a sudden TV connected and no latency in loading content, previously TV lagged to load content or didn't connect, which then makes me think about what has been happening over ethernet, the latency is like that but on PC the browser just times outs, of course I can't connect over ethernet now to test this as it depends on moca.

I will work on the diagnotics from cable modem next.

Attachments

• path4711-0-3-0.png
    path4711-0-3-0.png
    169 KB · Views: 481
When your son "unplugged the GoCoax " modem did he just pull the power or disconnect the coax or disconnect the ethernet cable to the GoCoax modem ?

The Arris is DOCCIS 3.0 according to the user manual . Go into the configuration and post an image of the Gateway Network Connection Status. It will show the frequencies used by Comcast to the modem.

You may have to change the settings in the GoCOAX modems to use extended D High band to avoid conflict if Comcast is using one of the MOCA2.5 bands..

With the GoCoax modems powered up and synced, go to the config/status/diag pages and post screen shots of the link rate and other parameters.

Last edited:
I've disable Low and Ext, and rebooted, testing how it does. Will come back shortly with an update. Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 223
can you log into the arris modem and post the screen shot requested, please ?

There is a different GoCoax page that shows the link rate matrix of all devices on the coax cable running MOCA, please post a screen shot.

I'm thrown a bit by that diagram.

1) The SBG6700-AC is a combo modem/router (aka gateway, the "G" in the model), but the diagram has it connected to another router, the Archer A7 ... but also to a PC. If connected to another router, the SBG6700 should be configured for bridge (modem) mode, and then should only be Ethernet connected to the WAN port of the main router. The PC connected to the "MODEM" in the diagram should be connected to the LAN of the Archer A7, unless you've subscribed for multiple WAN IPs from your provider and the PC is intended to be resident on the WAN/Internet, out front of your router.

2) The "Main splitter" is an 8-way, but no other connections are shown. What is connected off the other 7 lines?

3) The connection between the pictured goCoax adapters isn't clear. It must be a coax connection, but the "In" and "Out" annotations are ambiguous as the goCoax adapter doesn't have any such port labels. ("MoCA," "TV," and "LAN")

And are there other MoCA devices on the coax plant? If the two pictured are the lone MoCA adapters and the coax link between these MoCA adapters is direct, then there wouldn't be a need for either to be connected to the rest of the coax plant, or for a "PoE" MoCA filter.

I'm thrown a bit by that diagram.

1) The SBG6700-AC is a combo modem/router (aka gateway, the "G" in the model), but the diagram has it connected to another router, the Archer A7 ... but also to a PC. If connected to another router, the SBG6700 should be configured for bridge (modem) mode, and then should only be Ethernet connected to the WAN port of the main router. The PC connected to the "MODEM" in the diagram should be connected to the LAN of the Archer A7, unless you've subscribed for multiple WAN IPs from your provider and the PC is intended to be resident on the WAN/Internet, out front of your router.

2) The "Main splitter" is an 8-way, but no other connections are shown. What is connected off the other 7 lines?

3) The connection between the pictured goCoax adapters isn't clear. It must be a coax connection, but the "In" and "Out" annotations are ambiguous as the goCoax adapter doesn't have any such port labels. ("MoCA," "TV," and "LAN")

And are there other MoCA devices on the coax plant? If the two pictured are the lone MoCA adapters and the coax link between these MoCA adapters is direct, then there wouldn't be a need for either to be connected to the rest of the coax plant, or for a "PoE" MoCA filter.

Thanks, regarding comment #1, on the back of SBG700-AC that are two ethernet ports, my son using one as a direct connection to his pc, he doesn't go through Archer A7 and he rarely has any connectivity issues. I'm going to check surfboard guide for any bridging requirements. thanks and sorry for delayed response

Also, was reading another thread on signal strength and noticed your recommendation for a amplified splitter, I had a non-moca amplified splitter in the house i recently moved into, I changed it out for a non-amplified moca splitter, i had thought that they had it amplified for cable tv delivery purposes, which i don't use. However, with some follow on connectivity issues occurring in the last week or two, I'm thinking I will try your amplified recommendation and insert another two-way moca splitter before the main amplified splitter to help cable modem. Working on updated diagram.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQTHL33/?tag=snbforums-20

Question regarding your your diagram, are your two GoCoax adapters connected to each other using coax ports labeled “MOCA”? And if so is the splitter on the top GoCoax adapter connected to the coax port labeled “TV”?

Why is the top GoCoax adapter connected to the splitter?

I've reworked the diagram, hopefully it's easier to look at now, reference first diagram for equipment details. I have also added a Linksys range extender after the output moca adapter. that linksys extender is on eth from output moca but it's also connected to the Archer router next to cable modem.

Attachments

• Moca.jpeg
    Moca.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 230
So I am still learning here on the MOCA networks maybe one of the senior folks might be able to chime in.

I see the WAN signal comes in the attic into the main splitter then outputted to the input side of 2 way splitter in Room #1. One output from 2 way splitter goes to coax WAN port on cable modem. This is where your ISP IP address is assigned. Then you have a LAN port from cable modem going to LAN port on ou Archer A7 router. Then your Archer A7 router has a LAN port connected to GoCoax adapter. The GoCoax adapter has coax going to other output on 2 way splitter.

here is one of my questions, is the input side of splitter bidirectional? Will the MOCA signal be distributed out the input side of 2 way splitter back to the main splitter?

I am wondering if it would better to move cable modem from room #1 to attic right after POE. Then add a new GoCoax adapter in the attic that would be connected to a LAN port on cable modem and coax output on GoCoax adapter to one of the output ports on the main splitter. The other output ports on main splitter would create MOCA network with other MOCA adapters connected to output side of main splitter. 2 way splitter in Room #1 would not be required. Thoughts?

I answered my own question that, yes, input side of 2 way splitter is bidirectional allowing MOCA signal pass through input side. Please disregard my previous post.

It looks like you have an loop in the ethernet network since packets will go via the moca connection and the wireless connection to the extender. With the moca backhaul, you don’t need the wireless connection to the router.

that linksys extender is on eth from output moca but it's also connected to the Archer router next to cable modem.
The Linksys WiFi Extender should only be configured as a wireless access point, not an extender, if it's been hard-wired via the MoCA adapter.

Also, I haven't seen it stated (or have avoided seeing it), but the Archer A7 Router needs to be configured in AP Mode, as well, if the SBG6700-AC is still functioning as a gateway (albeit w/ Wi-Fi disabled) rather than in bridge mode (i.e. as a modem).

Aside from those two aspects, I'd be curious as to what specific splitters are being used in the Attic and Room #1.

I Agree with @krkaufman.

You have a SBG6700-AC CableModem Combo 3 in 1 device along side the Archer A7 Router. Both of these are capable of acting as a router/gateway. Only one of them should be. That, if not already, should be resolved.

Make the Linksys wifi extender into a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Also if you are seeing a loss of signal strength, it would be evident by looking at the cable modem's channels and seeing if they are disappearing when you add splitters into the mix. That is how I was able to determine that. I am sure there are more scientific ways, but ... I am a moron, and do my best to troubleshoot with what I have.

Thanks @Mark070 @krkaufman, I have now switched to AP mode on the Archer router. On the Linksys Extender, I am also using it for ethernet, it's the only way to get an ethernet line to where i sit to work, wifi's too slow, what if I just disconnect from the archer wifi and let everything go through moca out adapter to extender?

I also meant to update, I had comcast come out to confirm external service quality, but the technician upgraded my main splitter to a powered splitter, their commserve top line splitter. I also after experiencing some disconnect issues last night after his visit added the 2-way moca splitter before the main moca splitter in attic, thereby having a direct line to cable modem and other side of splitter going to main splitter, as I read about on another thread of @Mark070, after doing these things the performance this morning was awesome with peaks at 180Mbps avg 133Mbps. I haven't had a disconnect issue yet but mornings seem to run more smoothly anyways, so won't do a final report until EOD.