What's new

Is it worth upgrading to 600mb PowerLine adapters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Derjuden

New Around Here
Hi I recently got a pair of actiontec 200mb/s adapters and between the two San diego homes I've used them in the last month I get about 4MB/s at best while transferring files from one computer to another in the house. This really doesn't cut it. I serve TV shows from a computer and the video stops and buffers about every 20 seconds if it's above 480p. Also i have 50/5 cable Internet speeds and from my computer connected over the PowerLine I get 15/1 doing speed test :(
So here is what I'm thinking, I saw the throughput tests on the tp-link 600mb adapter with gigabit ports on them and thought about getting them to replace the actiontecs. But here is my worry none of my routers have gigabit ports so am I really going to see a difference with the 600mb adapters? And in general is there a big difference between 200 and 600mb adapters with real world throughput?

Last edited:
Hi I recently got a pair of actiontec 200mb/s adapters and between the two San diego homes I've used them in the last month I get about 4MB/s at best while transferring files from one computer to another in the house. This really doesn't cut it. I serve TV shows from a computer and the video stops and buffers about every 20 seconds if it's above 480p. Also i have 50/5 cable Internet speeds and from my computer connected over the PowerLine I get 15/1 doing speed test :(
So here is what I'm thinking, I saw the throughput tests on the tp-link 600mb adapter with gigabit ports on them and thought about getting them to replace the actiontecs. But here is my worry none of my routers have gigabit ports so am I really going to see a difference with the 600mb adapters? And in general is there a big difference between 200 and 600mb adapters with real world throughput?

The Powerline speeds you get can often be improved with judicious and trial-error plugs, avoiding plug-strips and things that attenuate. It's flaky compared to MoCA.

Yes AV2 600Mbps are the fastest home plug until AV2 QCA7500 comes out which support MIMO. Here's Tim's review of AV2 600Mbps home plug.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32454-tp-link-homeplug-head-to-head