What's new

Is Merlin comes with WTFast GPN Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexenhammer

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I wonder if this firmware has WTFast GPN network option enabled? And if Yes then in which models? All or only the ones that has it officially?
In case this option is not enabled, what happens to supported Routers like RT-AC86U and AC3100 that have it? Will it be removed after updating the firmware to Merlin?

Thanks

It comes with the same models that are supported by the official firmware. It's is largely untested however.

It comes with the same models that are supported by the official firmware. It's is largely untested however.

Thank you for replay.
There is no way to add it to unsupported router, right?
By untested, you mean it can work worse then on original firmware or the same? If its the same im ok.

There is no way to add it to unsupported router, right?

No, both for technical and legal reasons (router models have to be licensed for use of this proprietary service).

By untested, you mean it can work worse then on original firmware or the same?

No, it means I never used it, and nobody has ever provided feedback about it (at one point it was broken for 4-6 months, and nobody ever reported it - I found out by accident). Basically, about nobody uses it. Their router version barely supports a small handful of games.

No, it means I never used it, and nobody has ever provided feedback about it (at one point it was broken for 4-6 months, and nobody ever reported it - I found out by accident). Basically, about nobody uses it. Their router version barely supports a small handful of games.

I tried to use it on my AX11000 (for ARK Survival Evolved, one of my son's games) to see how it would go but there was no identifiable difference to game use (responsiveness, ping) so after a while, since I change routers and setups so often, I didn't bother to set it up again.

Whether this was because it doesn't work properly or not I don't know, but from what I've read, it's common to not see much gain by using it and that's exactly what I saw.

Ian

I tried to use it on my AX11000 (for ARK Survival Evolved, one of my son's games) to see how it would go but there was no identifiable difference to game use (responsiveness, ping) so after a while, since I change routers and setups so often, I didn't bother to set it up again.

Whether this was because it doesn't work properly or not I don't know, but from what I've read, it's common to not see much gain by using it and that's exactly what I saw.

Ian

For this type of service to make any difference, it would imply your ISP would have a better route to a WTFast node than to the game server (and for WTFast to then also have a better route to that server). For this to happen requires a very specific scenario, which I suspect is very uncommon. If your ISP has poor peering with providers routing to the game server, chances are they will also have poor peering to the WTFast node.

For this type of service to make any difference, it would imply your ISP would have a better route to a WTFast node than to the game server (and for WTFast to then also have a better route to that server). For this to happen requires a very specific scenario, which I suspect is very uncommon. If your ISP has poor peering with providers routing to the game server, chances are they will also have poor peering to the WTFast node.
WTFAST is a blatant customer scam that ASUS has added in its router functionality. It works as inactive, sometimes even worse when using it.