What's new

Is my 86U dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ancaster

Occasional Visitor
On latest firmware not a fresh update, yesterday lost internet. Connected modem cable to my old 66U (VPN router, VPN turned off) and works, I have a 68U as well I was AImeshing so I can revert to that.

Tried factory reset on the 86U, then reloading settings I saved earlier, didn’t work.

Does a Merlin exist for this model? Or don’t bother? It’s the newest of my 3, not impressed. I might have had it now beyond warranty, not sure, will need to check receipt.

Does it work after a full reset/initialize and not reloading saved settings? ;)

The 'latest firmware' doesn't mean anything. What version are you talking about?

What model are you talking about for RMerlin support?

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

I could try that but it doesn't make sense it would suddenly give out, update version was Nov/19 when I did it.

Thanks for the link, RMerlin didn't have support when I bought (I've used his builds on my previous Asus routers).
Looks like it's on the list now, latest release here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/

Current Version:

W4jMSO7.png

Will do some more problem-solving tomorrow, which should I try first?

I would recommend flashing RMerlin v384.15_0 or the latest Alpha 1 version (there are two currently) if you feel like testing a bit (Alpha 1 is stable for my RT-AX88U).

Then following the M&M Config and maybe also the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below.

Thanks for your help, Nuclear Reset and latest RMerlin as above fixed it (I think). I then uploaded my CFG file I saved yesterday and I couldn't access any bookmarks again. So I started all over, no CFG upload, manually added MAC filters, didn't touch anything else for now. Made a new CFG file.

One of my devices beeped which tells me it lost it's 2.4GHz connection. It's happened 4x today. Now in retrospect I realized it's done that a few times a month for a while now. I'm wondering if the router does have a hardware problem.

One of the most common infamous problems that the AC86 suffers from is failed or failing 2.4 Ghz radios. Time to approach ASUS for an RMA.

Yes, read about that when I bought it. Phew, 2y warranty and receipt says Nov2018, except Corona may have me waiting a bit.