What's new

Is my AC1900 / AC68U bricked and cannot be restored?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anvar Shari

New Around Here
Ok, I know that what I did is stupid, but I need your help please.

I got my 2nd AC1900, made it to AC68U. All was good, until I decided to overclock it to 1000/800 just like I did with my first one (3 months ago, successfully)

I remember last time I modified CFE in Hex editor, however, I could not find that guide, so long story short, I just opened Hex editor, changed 800/666 to 1000/800, went to Puty and flashed this modified CFE using mtd-write.

Now all I have is solid USB light and eth light (if cable is connected). No power light, nothing else. Cannot get into recovery mode, NVRAM erase is not happening. As soon as I plug in the router, USB ligh turns on and nothing happens no matter what I press. Of course, no GUI, no connection, nothing (though eth light is active).

Anything I can do at this point? Basically I screwed up CFE and wrote it to the router...

And the worst, I still can't find that stupid guide that was showing how to modify CFE properly...

Just throw it away. 'solid USB light' means it's bricked, actually USB 2.0 light. If you see solid USB 2.0 light there is no way to recover it.

I though someone mentioned these things are impossible to brick.... I guess I managed to. I got superpower!

I though someone mentioned these things are impossible to brick.... I guess I managed to. I got superpower!

Impossible to brick provided you don't mess with the bootloader, which is what contains the recovery code...

Impossible to brick provided you don't mess with the bootloader, which is what contains the recovery code...

Yep - operative word here is that unless one has the tools and domain specific knowledge, playing around with CFE (or uBoot) is a very easy way to brick things in a heartbeat.

(this is why during development, most prototype boards have socketed flash parts just for this reason)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!