What's new

is my ac68u dying? router is not assigning ips to automatic ip configured devices...static ip works fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yipee Kaiyay

Occasional Visitor
I have been using this router for a while now and have not changed anything, including the firmware. Recently, it started acting up and would not assign IP addresses to some devices, specifically devices that connect to Wi-Fi on and off, such as my phone. if i set an ip address manually on the phone, it connects to the router no problem.

I have had good luck with the router over the years, and because it was running stable up until now, I did not dare touch any core settings or update the firmware from 41994.

I did reboot the router by powering it off and on, and this solved the issue for a day or so. However, it is now doing the same thing again.

I am not sure what could be causing this random issue. The only thing I can think of is that the router is dying a slow death.

I have been using this router for a while now and have not changed anything, including the firmware. Recently, it started acting up and would not assign IP addresses to some devices, specifically devices that connect to Wi-Fi on and off, such as my phone. if i set an ip address manually on the phone, it connects to the router no problem.

I have had good luck with the router over the years, and because it was running stable up until now, I did not dare touch any core settings or update the firmware from 41994.

I did reboot the router by powering it off and on, and this solved the issue for a day or so. However, it is now doing the same thing again.

I am not sure what could be causing this random issue. The only thing I can think of is that the router is dying a slow death.

If you look at the CPU is it running at 100%? DHCP not working is usually either router overloaded, or dying. It is possible it is related to the recent asus issue, but I'm assuming you tried rebooting already? If that doesn't work, they say to factory reset and reconfigure it. Not a bad idea anytime something is off.

If it is dying, that may very well do it in completely, but no way to know without trying (I would update to latest firmware while you're at it, if it is misbehaving I would WPS reset both before and after updating the firmware, just in case it has been hacked, and also to make sure it is "clean" and the firmware update doesn't fail).

If you look at the CPU is it running at 100%? DHCP not working is usually either router overloaded, or dying. It is possible it is related to the recent asus issue, but I'm assuming you tried rebooting already? If that doesn't work, they say to factory reset and reconfigure it. Not a bad idea anytime something is off.

If it is dying, that may very well do it in completely, but no way to know without trying (I would update to latest firmware while you're at it, if it is misbehaving I would WPS reset both before and after updating the firmware, just in case it has been hacked, and also to make sure it is "clean" and the firmware update doesn't fail).
I appreciate you suggesting that I check the CPU usage. It looks like it's stuck, and so does the memory bar.
what does that even mean?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 40
I appreciate you suggesting that I check the CPU usage. It looks like it's stuck, and so does the memory bar.
what does that even mean?

Definitely something is up. Can't say if it is hardware or just needs a factory reset to clear things up though. If you reset - upgrade - reset it may solve your issues, it may make no difference, or it may be the final nail in the coffin.

Check it right after reboot (when it is working) and see if the CPU is at 100% maybe?

What services or options; like AiProtection, DownloadMaster, attached USB hard drive, etc., are you running on the RT-AC68U? Do you have an Asus branded router or a T-Mobile branded router?

The 9.0.0.4.386.41994 firmware was beta firmware from several years ago (2021/02/01). May want to consider updating to the latest Asus stock firmware (3.0.0.4.386.51665) if for no other reason than; security, vulnerability and bug patches.

Troubleshooting steps. Disconnect all LAN and Wireless clients from the router except one wired (Ethernet connected) computer, then reboot the router and see if the issue persists. Sometimes a hard factory reset and manual reconfiguration (don't import a exported or saved router CFG file) fixes weird issues with the RT-AC68U.

looks like this was an Asus server side issue? something to do with Ai protection. i updated the firmware but apparently the problem could have been fixed by doing nvram reset.

i have all that extra ai junk disabled but apparently asus inc. doesn’t care … they’ll mess with your router anyway.

looks like this was an Asus server side issue?
The Asus issue from a few days ago that affected many Asus routers running Asus stock firmware has been well discussed in numerous other discussions here. Asus Support has posted their fix (reboot the router and if that doesn't work perform a reset), see the Asus Support website for more:
Or as posted in various other posts, SSH into the router and remove the chknvram20230516 file, if it exists, and reboot the router.

Code:
rm /jffs/asd/chknvram20230516

looks like this was an Asus server side issue? something to do with Ai protection. i updated the firmware but apparently the problem could have been fixed by doing nvram reset.

i have all that extra ai junk disabled but apparently asus inc. doesn’t care … they’ll mess with your router anyway.

Wasn't related to aiprotection, was ASD which you can't disable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!