What's new

Is my AC86U toast?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kev7274

Regular Contributor
Has worked fine for the last few years until today when all the lights went out except for the port 4 light. No matter what I do I can't get it into recovery mode and I wouldn't be able to tell anyways since the power light doesn't work. I have tried using the reset and WPS buttons,but nothing works. Of course warranty went out July 2020.

Anybody got anymore suggestions? Just want to see if it's worth the time to try and get it working or just buy another router.

Has worked fine for the last few years until today when all the lights went out except for the port 4 light. No matter what I do I can't get it into recovery mode and I wouldn't be able to tell anyways since the power light doesn't work. I have tried using the reset and WPS buttons,but nothing works. Of course warranty went out July 2020.

Anybody got anymore suggestions? Just want to see if it's worth the time to try and get it working or just buy another router.

It's toast! I had two (China 2018 builds) die the same way. One was replaced under warranty; the other one not so lucky. I bought another one on sale.

OE

This sounds like it may be a 2018 model? Unless you have a power supply of the right type and tip to test with, buy a new router today.

My (2020 Vietnam) AC86U did that and nothing I tried could get it working again. Luckily it was still under warranty. They did replace it with a 2018 China version but it’s been working great.

I have an AC2900. Is there any way to tell where and when it's made (via command line or so)?
Can't find the box anymore.

yep,2018.

Do you not get a three years warranty..? It had that noted on the box when I bought my AC86U.
I got a full refund for mine after 2 years and 11 months of owning it, it had developed faults.

ASUS-RT-AC86U-AC2900-Photo-box-front-800x571.jpg

Good luck

Last edited:
I have an AC2900. Is there any way to tell where and when it's made (via command line or so)?
Can't find the box anymore.
Should say in plain text on the label that is on the back of the router.

Should i be concerned?

Yes. 2018 AC86s had more than their fair share of reliability problems including a short service life.

Do you not get a three years warranty..? It had that noted on the box when I bought my AC86U.
I got a full refund for mine after 2 years and 11 months of owning it, it had developed faults.

View attachment 28643

Good luck
Not sure where the box is, but when I checked the serial on Asus site, it said expired July 2020.

That is just a default expiry date. If you have your actual receipt, the warranty should start from the date bought for the period the warranty is offered in your country.

That is just a default expiry date. If you have your actual receipt, the warranty should start from the date bought for the period the warranty is offered in your country.
I got it from Amazon,so I have proof of purchase date.

I got it from Amazon,so I have proof of purchase date.

I had initial resistance in offering me any support or assistance with my faulty 86U from Amazon, but it was them who eventually gave me a full refund. It did take some effort and time to get that.
However due to that initial problematic response from them I approached Asus and they were very helpful. They would have stepped up to fully support me even tho my guarantee should have been dealt with by the retailer.

I had registered the router when I bought it in Nov 2017 with Asus.

Again good luck to you.

Yes. 2018 AC86s had more than their fair share of reliability problems including a short service life.
Does that also apply to the AC2900's? I know it's basically the same router, never understood the difference.
Ain't much i can do anyway, as it's running fine :)

Last edited:
Got an email from Asus wanting me to do the typical troubleshooting, reset, wps, etc. They do want a copy of where I purchased from Amazon, so maybe that's a good sign

Got an email from Asus wanting me to do the typical troubleshooting, reset, wps, etc. They do want a copy of where I purchased from Amazon, so maybe that's a good sign

Well done. I got passed from tier one support to a manager at tier 3, within Asus eventually.
It was due to Amazon's initial reaction to my issues which escalated the involvement of Asus.
Asus's initial stance, rightly so, was that my problems with the router which they recognised to be fault should be sorted with the retailer. In the UK they have the relationship where the returns are handled by them.
As noted previously tho Amazon eventually cooperated and my router was returned for them and I got a complete refund - hence the AX 88u now. Otherwise Asus were willing to help.

Good luck and keep with it. The returns process will hopefully work out well for you, and as it is still in warranty that is the way to go.

Well,guess I have a brick now. Asus says that the Router has a one year warranty and I verified this with Amazon,they looked up my order. I'm not sure where I saw the 3 year Warranty logo.

For me it was, a noted before, shown not as a sticker on the box but printed on it.

20201025_124953.jpg

IIRC It also noted that on the advert on Amazon's advert.

I also know that when I bought my AX88U that too shows the same, again the advert at Amazon also states that.

Asus were happy to help me a mine was just within the 3 years warranty.

Perhaps the warranty length can be a regional thing, as I'm in the UK..?

Maybe someone else might comment, are you in the US..?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!