What's new

Is My ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 Unit Dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fairmarketvalue

Occasional Visitor
The night before last we experienced some major thunderstorms and a brief power outage. I have 3 XT8 units (a router and two nodes), each running the latest 43170 XT8 official Asus firmware. When I checked things the next morning, my Motorola cable modem showed that we had Internet coverage, but the XT8 unit that was connected to the modem as a router showed a Red status light instead of White. It would not communicate with any of my wired or wireless devices or either node, and I could not access the router via the Asus app or the web GUI.

I confirmed that Internet coverage was indeed available by connecting a computer directly to the modem. My next step was to swap ethernet cables between the modem and router to see if a bad cable was the culprit, but no joy - still Red. I then rebooted the router several times, and then did several factory hard resets (some via the reset button, others via WPS and the power button). Again, no success - just a Red light. Finally, I factory reset all three units and set up one of my other two as the router and the second as a node. No problems with either, and I was able to get wireless and wired Internet service - all is operating smoothly between them. However, when I tried to convert the "old" former router unit into being a new second node, neither the app nor web GUI could find it, even when I connected the unit via ethernet cable (blue WAN port) to the "new" working router (yellow "LAN" port) to do so.

Sorry for my tale of woe being so lengthy, but I am plum out of ideas. Am I missing something else I can do here, or is the non-functioning unit fried and finished? BTW, all units were powered on during the storms, but were connected to UPSs with surge protection. Since only one unit so configured was affected, I don't understand how its internals may have come to be fried when the others weren't.

Reset the router, turn it ON, don't connect any cables to it. Do you see the default Asus wireless networks after boot? If yes, the radios are working and perhaps the WAN port got damaged. I've seen other Asus routers with dead WAN port. If that's the case, the workaround is to activate Dual WAN function and assign a LAN port as primary WAN.

Thanks for your suggestion. However, no luck. Since it's still in warranty, I'll try to have Asus tech support help on this after the holiday weekend. If that's not successful, we'll see if Asus will make a goodwill exchange.