What's new

Is OS X Server Or Synology Right For Us?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

load97

New Around Here
I'm currently looking at buying a Synology Nas(213+ or 713+) for my wife's photography business. But then started thinking about buying a used mac mini and purchasing server since it's only a $20 upgrade. So I am looking for input if either of these ways, or none at all would work well.

Right now, we currently have a mix of Windows & Mac, and probably always will. Her photography clients will have a mix as well. Currently she uses a windows 7 desktop as primary computer, but will probably switch to Mac eventually. She uploads & downloads photo's through dropbox or FileZilla. This is how she interacts with her clients(customers)(maybe other programs that I don't know about too). The amount a client may upload to her can be 5-15 GB(generally 7-10 GB) worth a photo's. My wife then does editing & other album work and then uploads them back to them. Anything to large we ship USB's back & forth.

Currently my wife has 12 or so routine clients she deals with, and a few others that she works with once/once in awhile. So we are trying to get something fairly simplistic to use for ourselves and for the clients. "Preferring" that the clients don't have to download any programs on their end like were currently doing with FileZilla etc. The Synology DSM software that runs on the client side(I believe) is just browser based. That makes it attractive to use. Though, she *might* want to do folder syncing for each client and allow them access to only their folder. Now that I think requires FTP, which the Synology software does through third parties such as FileZilla(if I read the Synology online documentation correctly). Right now we just have a few TB's crammed in to my home built computer, and she uses Crashplan Pro to do online backups.

We currently have business class internet, with the option to have a static IP. We currently don't as it saves us paying Comcast the forced modem rental fee that goes along with a static IP. I'd prefer not to use a static IP if possible because of that. On a side note, if feasible, I wouldn't mind holding our personal stuff(movies, music etc) on the same Nas or server, but I don't want her business side to bog down from me playing music or streaming too many of our movies and what not lol. I can always just do a second Nas for personal use if needed, it will just cost a bit more.

If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!