What's new

is roaming assistant parameter working on RT-AX86U 386.1_2 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hi,
this parameter is set by default on my router:
1613975003527.png

and here is a screenshot of the wireless log:
1613975128365.png

Should this device not being disconnected ? Or does it apply only when Mesh is enabled ?
Thanks,
GS

First, that device is sleeping. Second, it will disconnect as it wants to (or not). The RA settings can only 'suggest' what it should do.

Multiple APs required.

Hovering over the 'Roaming assistant' menu item gives more information about many items. :)

I think I have a similar problem at a friend's house.

We have 5 ASUS RT-5300 (latest Merlin 386.1_2) all wired throughout the house providing WiFi via Smart Connect and using AiMesh

The internet package offers a 1GB download and 100MB upload and yet at times, they get WiFi speeds of 20MB/s.

I'm not sure what is going on. I'm suspecting maybe the devices aren't automatically connecting to the closest router and remain attached to a far one. If so, what RSSI numbers should I be trying on all these routers? 50? Everything is currently at default numbers.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
this parameter is set by default on my router:
View attachment 31072

and here is a screenshot of the wireless log:
View attachment 31073

Should this device not being disconnected ? Or does it apply only when Mesh is enabled ?
Thanks,
GS

So here's my experience and my 2 cents.

This RA setting on the professional tab is like the bouncer (with the memory of a goldfish) at the door. When he makes you leave, you leave. There is one parameter, then you are thrown out. It doesn't matter if the client wants to stay on.

This has nothing to do with real roaming (graceful hand-offs between nodes). This is a hard bump with a real full-associate handshake (layer 2), re-acquiring an IP address (layer 3) , etc. When RA kicks in, it will always kill any TCP session and most UDP since its also tearing down the L3 part of the connection.

It looks like RA is working since your connect time is only 2min 13sec. RA has nothing to do with a client reconnecting or choosing a different SSID.

You client then, after being bumped off, just re-connects right back to that same SSID. Rinse and repeat.

Look in syslog for 'roamastd' entries - they are clear indicators when its responsible for knocking off a client.

Remember, ALL client/STA connections are initiated by the client(STA), and what band, what AP, what SSID it choses to start with is always part of the mystery.

I've not found it to work. I've tried setting it to low values, and there's never any indication that any clients are ever disconnected. I've tried on both my AX86 and AX68s.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!