What's new

Skynet Is Skynet compatible with either GT-AXE11000 or GT-AXE16000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jerie-

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Looking to possibly replace a GT-AC5300 with either the GT-AXE11000 or GT-AXE16000. I'm thankful Merlin supports these two routers and plan to use it along with Skynet instead of Asus AIProtection.

Some questions I have:

1) Is Skynet currently being updated and compatible with either GT-AXE11000 or newly release GT-AXE16000 running Merlin's firmware?
2) How well does it work with a VPN connection (NordVPN)? Are there issues I need to be aware of?
3) Is a usb flash drive required to run/store Skynet settings, etc.? How about learning curve and ease of use?
4) Is there a noticeable hit while using Skynet? I've notice that with AIProtection ON, VPN speed can be 30-50 Mbps slower.
5) What advantages does Skynet have over AIProtection?
6) If Skynet is used, is AIProtection needed?
7) Is the standard firewall on Asus's routers enough if Skynet or AIProtection not be used?
8) If YazFi is used for IOT on a guest network, does the router running it required to be running DHCP for all users? I do not want that guest network to have access to the local LAN. Right now, another device takes care of DHCP.

Thank you and much appreciated.

1) Yes.

2) No issues I'm aware of. (Note I do not use paid-for VPNs, but I do read the forums here daily/completely).

3) Yes. Along with a greater than 2GB swap file, created via amtm.

4) No. But I don't see a hit with AiProtection on either.

5) Many, use the Better Search option for those previous posts.

6) It's not required, but they work well together.

7) That is up to you. The general consensus is that the more layers of security used, the better.

8) If I'm not mistaken, YazFi needs to be installed on a router that is in Router mode.

@Tech9

Hey thanks for reply. Yes, I have an idea what Skynet is. I assumed Adamm is the author and I did find his lengthy post on Skynet.

"Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements .. Skynet is the first comprehensive IP banning and security tool exclusively for Asus Devices.... etc."

I figured if it was supposed to enhance the built-in firewall, perhaps I'd look into it. Also, if it worked with the newer Asus routers, example axe16000, since its wl interface order changed?

@L&LD

Thanks for the answers.

4) With my current GT-AC5300 and AIProtection ON, using NordVPN, I get around 205-220 Mbps Down and 190-200 Mbps Up. With AIProtection OFF, it's 250-260+ Mbps Down and 250+ Mbps Up. That's why I asked if there was noticeable hit on VPN speed should I use only Skynet.

5) Sorry. Yes, Search works but most of the post are dated. Asking in hopes of a more up to date answer for current models.

7) Oh, don't get me wrong, layers of security is best practice. All devices have latest security software/firmware running on them. Just asking if I use only the built-in router firewall w/Skynet.. will it be enough for the router itself without AIProtection being On?

8) If I understand YazFi, it enhances Asus's Guest Wifi. I planned for smart devices to use that since they will be on their own subnet. It allows internet access but not to the local LAN? Yes, I plan to use it on an Asus router. My question is: since Yazfi will be giving out IPs, will my other network devices require DHCP to be on the Asus router too? Currently I have a separate DHCP server that's not the Asus router. Will YazFi cause problems with my other DHCP server?

You're welcome.

4) Sorry, I don't use paid-for VPNs. Hopefully, someone else can answer that definitely for you. Myself? I don't think those 'hits' are enough to worry about.

5) The posts may be older, but the info is still current when reading those older posts.

7) Using just the router is a huge step up from using your ISP-supplied router (and their ability to see into your network. Every layer on top you add is one more defense against malicious players.

8) In addition to my previous response, it depends on exactly how your 'other' DHCP server is configured in your network. The easiest thing to do is, do, observe, and make adjustments if and as necessary. Hard to guess on a theoretical basis of a network overview. :)

Skynet is compatible with all devices running Merlin’s latest firmware

Yes, I have an idea what Skynet is.

I don’t recommend Skynet to people who can’t troubleshoot Skynet themselves. The main issue is not the script, but community generated blocklists with errors ranging from small annoyances to breaking your Internet connection. You have to know what to do when it happens and be able to act fast. Keep in mind the default built-in firewall blocks all unsolicited incoming connections anyway. Here is the issue I have with Skynet as a script - it shows you as “blocks” even things blocked already by the firewall and freaks out non-tech users for no reason. In most cases in default configuration Skynet shows as “blocks” whatever was matched as an IP in blocklists.

@L&LD

Thanks again.

4) Fair enough. We only use VPN for certain devices/services and want to get as much speed out of it.

8) Ok. I guess trial an error than. Hopefully we won't have to ask too many questions.

@Adamm

Thank you for Skynet and thanks for the answer.

Do you recommend any reading material on Skynet's use?

@Tech9

Thanks. I understand. Appreciate your answer.

I don’t recommend Skynet to people who can’t troubleshoot Skynet themselves. The main issue is not the script, but community generated blocklists with errors ranging from small annoyances to breaking your Internet connection. You have to know what to do when it happens and be able to act fast. Keep in mind the default built-in firewall blocks all unsolicited incoming connections anyway. Here is the issue I have with Skynet as a script - it shows you as “blocks” even things blocked already by the firewall and freaks out non-tech users for no reason. In most cases in default configuration Skynet shows as “blocks” whatever was matched as an IP in blocklists.
Your description sounds like fishing in the dark. I completely agree that if users are not prepared to do their due diligence when something goes amuck on the firewall or adblocker, then maybe they would be better off not using it.