What's new

Is SmallNetBuilder site still active?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paapaa

Occasional Visitor
I noticed that the latest published article is from August 2021. Over one year ago. So the question is: are there still going to be new articles or is SNB in maintenance mode with no new content being published anymore?

There a dozens of messages every day on forums dedicated to particular devices, like ASUS routers or rmerlin's wonderful replacement firmware for them. Look for a forum with your particular interest.

These forums are where the “action” is. :)

Neither of you answered the original question that was posted. It seems there are no new articles posted for months on end and it seems the only part of the site that functions is the forums section. I’d like an answer from Eric, not some users with no real knowledge of what’s really going on here.

My understanding is that Tim has become busy with "Life" and work, thus the limited time spent on reviewing, etc.

Ok then, maybe Tim can give us a heads up on what’s going on. Site was very informative with a lot of reviews you couldn’t find anywhere else. Shame it hasn’t continued it was and still is a valuable source of info.

Neither of you answered the original question that was posted. It seems there are no new articles posted for months on end and it seems the only part of the site that functions is the forums section. I’d like an answer from Eric, not some users with no real knowledge of what’s really going on here.

I doubt that anyone other than the site owner has any “real knowledge” about the website. In the meantime, we can enjoy the forums and the knowledge shared by other members.

I'm sure @thiggins will answer you if you use his tag. I think it's probably as @Clark Griswald says.

Maybe Tim just hasn't seen the thread yet.

@Paapaa and everyone,
The "New Door Opens" article linked above sums up the situation, with two changes.

First, octoScope was purchased by Spirent, so I've been contracting with them since January 1.

Second, the contract work is taking all my available time and I have no time for reviews. And frankly, I have no desire to do them anymore.

It was a fun ride while it lasted. I appreciate long time readers and fans of SmallNetBuilder and your support over the years.

What does this mean for these forums?
According to the article, nothing for now, the forums still exist.

I for one see this place as my spiritual home, along with discord and overwatch.

Asus closing the doors slowly is of concern. Loved the banter over the last 8 years I've been here and I've definately learnt a fair bit. Hope SNB reigns for another 8+

Appreciate all the work Tim, Eric, and all the coders.

Love the characters on here, you know who you are.

Look for a forum with your particular interest.
Completely agree, the forums are still active and very valuable. But articles and tests serve a slightly different need IMO. And the tests posted on this site have been very well made and interesting.

Second, the contract work is taking all my available time and I have no time for reviews. And frankly, I have no desire to do them anymore.
Thanks for the info and enjoy your current challenges! A notification on the front page about the current status would probably be a nice thing to do. At least to limit threads like this :D And to inform people that there is no reason to expect any new content on the site.

I did not know the "main" site even existed for several days after joining this forum back in February 2019. I really never looked at it except for a cursory glance.

These forums have been my main source for wifi router info since 2019.

I only stop by to check @Smokey613 signature of the week. :)

Not sure what "main source of wifi router info" is he talking about. Must be very unreliable source because he tried them all - x86, Firewalla, ER, Zen, AC86U, Eero, AX6000... I need to check my SNB Forum members log for exact models and how long they have survived. Waiting for updates.

1. Blocking posts about T-Mobile Router. A lot of users and visitors left the forum at that time. After then, there are not so many new users around the forum.
2. A lot of users think thiggins and some old users are like a family and own Snbforum. They are so territorial.
3. The performance and functions are equalized. Users don't care about the performance and functions anymore.
4. New devices like AX systems are no longer attractive to users. Users just want P&P devices. They don't want to know about the new devices anymore.
5. Connecting internet and WiFi are good enough to go.

Last edited:
What would it take to just buy the site outright? I'd like to keep it going...

Ping me on PM

sfx
I was thinking there is enough smart people on here to write articles, and test stuff. Maybe turn it into a networking tech / blog site, bit like lifehacker etc, but nerd networking stuff.

Just a thought, I have them occasionally.

Particuarly looking forward to @Clark Griswald networking your christmas lights article and @Tech9 's all in one guide to the internet.

It's not that easy @BreakingDad. Access to new products is needed and access to professional testing equipment. I can get access to new products through my contacts, but most likely someone's advertisement will creep in. Nothing comes for free in today's World. Articles written by non-professionals in this area will turn SmallNetBuilder into Don'tKnows. I can generate similar reviews every day and I don't even need the product.