What's new

Is the ASUSWRT GUI the same for all supported features accross all ASUS Routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

will5

New Around Here
Part of the attraction to Asus Routers are favourable reviews of ASUSWRT compared to competitors, but I have yet to buy a Asus Router, (hope to buy the new AC58U once it gets well reviewed).

Can anyone tell me if ASUSWRT updates/downloads are common to all AC models of Asus Routers, and if the GUI is the same for all supported features ?

Also, I see on this forum (Mario May 18 2014) the GUI can display temperature of at least 3 different internal parts. Can ASUSWRT also show the power consumption of the Router ?

Can anyone tell me if ASUSWRT updates/downloads are common to all AC models of Asus Routers, and if the GUI is the same for all supported features ?

All of their standard routers share Asuswrt. The only exceptions are very old products, and the OnHub.

Also, I see on this forum (Mario May 18 2014) the GUI can display temperature of at least 3 different internal parts. Can ASUSWRT also show the power consumption of the Router ?

Temperature display is a feature of third party firmware. And none are able to provide any power usage numbers.

All of their standard routers share Asuswrt. The only exceptions are very old products, and the OnHub.

Temperature display is a feature of third party firmware. And none are able to provide any power usage numbers.
Thanks for that, so just now awaiting reviews of the RT-AC58U.

The RT-AC58U seems to be decent looking straight forward no nonsense router, with MU-MIMO :)

It's a Qualcomm-based device, so MU-MIMO also probably works properly this time, unlike Broadcom.

It's a Qualcomm-based device, so MU-MIMO also probably works properly this time, unlike Broadcom.
Thanks for the advices. I read its a ARM 4-core A7. Do you know which Qualcomm SoC & Radios ?

When joining the forum on 27th Oct to ask how soon will SNB have a review of the RT-AC58U, I listed the features most important to me, preferring an AC1300 Router that did not consume more than my main PC, a Haswell NUC (7.1W avg). I hope consumption in same class as other ASUS AC1200, I assume the 5W idle of the AC56U ?

My existing 'N' router takes 4.1W at the wall, but has poor 2.4GHz range, lacks Guest, and the features listed in my initial post on the forum. So yes I do have a wall wart energy meter with 4-digit precision, but as it only measures 1 device at a time & no logging, it would be useful if devices can log their own consumption.

As mentioned earlier, I have yet to buy a Asus Router. Waiting a long time for AC1300 class Router with makers feature list meeting my needs. Having already got a Router that falls short in a number of areas, I need to check preferably at least 2 indepth reviews before casting the die again. My initial post asking for AC58U review, focusses on 2.4GHz RANGE as good as AC68U, low consumption aka AC56U, compact size, PCless unattended torrent downloads thru Asus VPN - both router firmware & using Asus VPN server they state requires no annual subscription to use.

As Asus claim the last feature for a number of their AC routers, I would appreciate members experiences on how well it really works, and if its true not required to pay for VPN services like PIA, Anonymizer etc.

I will be travelling a lot a month from now, so want to buy asap, no more than 3 weeks from now. Does anyone know a good contact email/phone for Asus Sales/Marketing ? (not after-sales support)

Do you know which Qualcomm SoC & Radios ?

Wikidevi claims it's an IPQ4028. No idea if that's accurate or not.

both router firmware & using Asus VPN server they state requires no annual subscription to use.

Asus offers no VPN service. What they offer is a DDNS service - not the same thing at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!