What's new

Is the firmware 32 or 64 bit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not a router designer. Given. But the option I gave solved the 64-bit problem (that the SDK may or may not have).

The point isn't what it's missing. It's what Asus is missing by letting any other networking competitor beat them there.

Here's what you get in a BCM4916.

1710878607464.png

The built-in network ports, runner and the crypto engine are all things that you need in a router. Add to that the wifi radios that are also required for a router - no guarantee that Broadcom's SDK will support the x64 architecture with these radios.

If longevity is the goal, then my personal opinion is that Asuswrt needs a major rewrite, far more than just being adapted for 64-bit compatibility. Its current monolithic design is far more limiting than that than the fact it runs on a 32-bit architecture, as it tries to handle far too added features with no clear separation into individual services.

Hmm - going into a total rewrite would be a terrible mess...

Most folks here are focused on the Broadcom platforms, but AsusWRT supports more than that across multiple markets and SoC vendors.

The approach that Asus has done is to focus on specifics where the ARMv8a profile can add benefit for performance...

There is a lot of code inside that has zero benefit for an ARM64 port, and the BSP can support multi-arch without issue...