1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Is the Nighthawk RAX120 overkill as a vpn router?

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AX Wireless' started by martin445, Feb 27, 2020.

1. martin445

martin445 New Around Here

I need a fast vpn router for online gaming and streaming from target.

2. avtella

avtella Very Senior Member

Gaming doesn’t really require much bandwidth, maybe like a few hundred kilobits per second at most in general. As for streaming even 4K maybe like 50-100 Megabits/s should be good enough.

As for VPN on a router, most Netgear routers including the RAX series don’t allow the use of third party VPN profiles. Some have PureVPN built in, but it is pretty slow and unreliable. ExpressVPN or NordVPN are pretty good. Asus I know allows third party VPN profiles on almost all their current models. The RAX120 definitely has the hardware for good VPN performance but software does not. I’d look at an Asus AC86U or AX88U if you need third party VPN support.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  3. ulaganath

ulaganath Senior Member

How many PC’s or devices you want to have vpn connection . Do you do console or only PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk