What's new

Is the RT-AC3200 even being updated by ASUS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D3m0nicSoul

Occasional Visitor
So i just found out about the AI-Mesh that ASUS is implementing in their new firmware. Sounds perfect since i just bough an AC5300 and would like to use my 3200 as another AP on the other side of my house. But looking on the ASUS website it only states AC5300 coming soon which make me believe they forgot all about the AC3200. The router seems to still be relevant in terms of specs and looks like the 3100. So i really dont understand why this router seems to be forgotten.

I wish they would at least announce if it would be getting the update or not. Cause if that's the cause ill just sell it and buy something cheaper than my 5300

It took 2 weeks+ until the RT-ac1900P AiMesh FW showed up. Suggest checking under "OTHER" first when selecting the OS. My FW showed up there several days before under the W10 64 bit OS.

Wonder if AIMesh will be interpreted in the US as adjusting transmission radio power restrictions, re the thrashing Asus took in the 20-year agreement fine-audit? One would think If AIMesh is to work as it should, the routers have to be allowed to adjust the transmit power between them, which the agreement sort of hampers depending how it's read. Some who have tried this with the routers in the current list have reported that this either isn't showing up or isn't working/performing, but it's still very early to think it will right the first time.

As long as the firmware and radios can compensate automatically without limiting any of the feature sets, then AIMesh will be a good thing. One would think the 3200 with it's smart-connect feature, despite the relatively low amount of RAM/NVRAM, should adapt to mesh as well as any of the models. Many users have been prone to just cranking radio transmit power all the way up and leaving it there for range, so this will give everyone decent range and years of extended usefulness for all of the models they can extend it to. It may yet make up for some of the problems (and lots of buggy code) of the past, if the bugs go away in short order. I'd be happy with this, -if- the routers involved aren't locked or prohibited from being rolled back to the prior FW version they were on. This has to be considered if the user isn't happy with the way AIMesh does or doesn't perform for them. It's a big rabbit for Asus to pull out of the hat.

Last edited:
which the agreement sort of hampers depending how it's read

The agreement was to prevent end-users from tampering with it. Device-controlled power management is fine, in fact it's a requirement for 802.11ac, where output power must be dynamically adjusted based on various parameters.

Hello RMerlin and thank you. I assumed that was the case but with lawyers being lawyers, as my cousin the lawyer told me, they're always looking for leftovers to pick through or make case law out of. I think you put it best in the other thread and wasn't trying to revamp it. Writing isn't my forte. AIMesh for any of them must dynamically-adjust/compensate between all the units for it to work, and I wasn't questioning that. The 3200 has a good amount of built in smart/auto-connect for the radios and while not AIMesh, it usually works well enough if tweaked a bit, or else confounds many who have fiddled with it. My musing is confusing even when I I know what I'm trying to compose. Twas the twack on the head I suppose.

I'd have loved to have had two 3200s when I was testing different SSIDs with AP experiments last year. It was fun to try but without identical models, the Cisco guide I tried to follow gave me a headache. I hope the ability to roll back from AIMesh FW won't be locked out. Cheers.

This is the answer i got today :(
So far the only models that support AiMesh can be found on the following link: https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/
There is no indication that the RT-AC3200 will be supporting AiMesh. And with the extra models that have been added and this model not, it seems it won't be supported. This probably has to do with the difference in network card in the models that might not be compatible.
So when you want to use AiMesh it is advised to use models according to the list on above website.

Kind regards,

Mark Peters
Asus Customer Service

Quite right, well said. Haven't had a need for AiMesh on any of our boxes, but that's handy for all those who don't read the fine list of routers supported. Cheers.

I received the following message from Asus support:
"Yes, the AiMesh support is on the road map for the model RT-AC3200. ETA or estimated time of arrival is quarter 4 of this year."

Slowly, not surely, all things in good time, later not sooner the other shoe drops. Wonder why Asus didn't make a blanket announcement of the road map, rather than leak it this way? If the day ever comes that it's supported on Merlin, then by golly, there'd be a reason we could securely use this:) Final quarter will be here soon (don't hold your breath on that word 'estimated'). That's a nice tidbit for those who've been pining for it, really:)

92merc, nothing I've heard. Using our 3200 currently as AP with the RTAC86U, will likely put it on the new PfSense rig when we roll it out. Haven't used Asus official build for years, toyed with AiMesh then moved on. Still love our 3200 with Merlin NG FW. Cheers

This is unfortunate. I just bought 2 RT-AC3200 routers seconhand thinking I would use them for aimesh. I did glance at the supported list, but I saw it as everything up from about the AC68 and I did not notice the AC3200 was not on the list. I hope Asus does come out with support this quarter and I hope it is not too limited.

ajcragleon, We've used the 3200 for two years and it's been a very dependable router. We have also tried it as an AP with the 86U and are planning using it as AP with our PfSense rig or as a back up. Maybe Asus will get round to it; all good things take a bit of extra time. Cheers

i don't care about aimesh , but would like to see the 3200 get updated fw m it's now been over 4 months since last update m, i have 3 3200 in different locations that should get some updates just o make sure all security updates are implemented

Another vote in support of the poor 3200. I've deployed many in business and use one myself. I'm actually one of the few who appreciate the second 5 GHz band...and find many uses for it.

I'm starting to get that she's not invited to the party anymore. A pity.

I too have an RT-AC3200. I'm using AiMesh already but need one more node. Can't understand why the RT-AC3200 seems "forgotten" by ASUS, really makes me wonder if I should stick with the brand in the future. The RT-AC3200 is still quite high-end and should get the support it deserves.

I too have an RT-AC3200. I'm using AiMesh already but need one more node. Can't understand why thmy 3 3200 have been running 6 months nie RT-AC3200 seems "forgotten" by ASUS, really makes me wonder if I should stick with the brand in the future. The RT-AC3200 is still quite high-end and should get the support it deserves.
my 3 3200 hve been running 6 months non stop without a reeboot nothing , they just keep on working , super stable still wish they would update the fw , must be some security update needed after all this time

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!