What's new

Is there a built-in Ad blocker I can use in the Merlin releases?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Read this link too.

Which one works better? Diversion or AdBlock through Unbound?

Diversion does provide a lot of control and options (it is a far more mature product for adblocking) than Unbound -
1) but which one is better in terms of
- performance
- memory utilisation

2) Does Unbound still use additional memory and CPU even if Adblocking is not enabled or is it fairly lean ?
3) Is Unbound + Diversion the best combination? - Or does it unnecessarily waste resources as the net effect is the same as Unbound with Adblock enabled?

From my signature: Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, FlexQoS, disk checker, on Ext4 w/J + 2GB swap file.

They all serve a useful and defined purpose. Waste resources? What else are you going to do with your router? :)

To answer your question specifically, Diversion + pixelserv-tls + Unbound is not equivalent to one or the other, it is far superior. Particularly with Skynet, YazFi, ntpMerlin, and FlexQos also in that mix. The other scripts are great for reporting and/or support functions and as such, are indispensable too.

From my signature: Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Skynet, YazFi, scribe, connmon, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Unbound, FlexQoS, disk checker, on Ext4 w/J + 2GB swap file.

They all serve a useful and defined purpose. Waste resources? What else are you going to do with your router? :)

To answer your question specifically, Diversion + pixelserv-tls + Unbound is not equivalent to one or the other, it is far superior. Particularly with Skynet, YazFi, ntpMerlin, and FlexQos also in that mix. The other scripts are great for reporting and/or support functions and as such, are indispensable too.
Do you just leave adblock disabled in Unbound since Diversion is running, or run them both?

Disabled in Unbound.

Reactions: Gar
I'm actually running with Diversion disabled and unbound handling blocking quite ably for my tastes/needs

I'm actually running with Diversion disabled and unbound handling blocking quite ably for my tastes/needs
Wow, guess I don't understand the significance of each application. I just added Diversion and disabled adblock in Unbound.

If you don’t mind spending a couple of bucks, here’s my preferred ad-blocking option:

The additional advantages of this one:
- With Android / iOS / Windows / Linux apps you can have the same settings not just on your router, but also on all your portable devices that you may want to take out of home;
- You can create additional profiles e.g. for your kids (or parents :cool: ) with dedicated settings and they will also work across all devices, in or out of your home network.

This is worth $20 / year for me, but I appreciate this is a matter of personal preference.

For no additional cost I simply VPN into my router from anywhere I happen to be at and enjoy all benefits, not just ad-blocking.

Since changing to unbound/no adblock, plus Diversion Std/medium this morning I find more blocking taking place and the log confirms it. (Skynet has been running before and after changes.) I didn't use to have any outbound blocks, now I do. Also, my cache hit rate has dropped from about 95% to 45%, is this expected? Not sure what it all means and haven't found any posts to help yet.

Since changing to unbound/no adblock, plus Diversion Std/medium this morning I find more blocking taking place and the log confirms it. (Skynet has been running before and after changes.) I didn't use to have any outbound blocks, now I do. Also, my cache hit rate has dropped from about 95% to 45%, is this expected? Not sure what it all means and haven't found any posts to help yet.
If you mean Skynet outbound blocks, this can and does happen if the authoritative name server for a domain you’re looking up happens to share an IP or IP range with known malware from Skynet’s filter lists. Especially likely to occur if you have Skynet country blocking enabled.

Reactions: Gar
Wow, guess I don't understand the significance of each application. I just added Diversion and disabled adblock in Unbound.
Do your own research, and trust but verify are two pretty good principles to follow in online fora.
Also - what works for me might not be the best for you, so back to the last line I wrote...
The Diversion and Unbound threads in the add-ons subforum will get you 85% of the way to the right solution for you (because you have to do the final 15% of the work setting it up and working out any issues)