What's new

Is there a such thing as a *real* WiFi thermostat or smart plug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsnb

Very Senior Member
What do I mean by real? I mean a device that is controllable directly via the LAN without any need for WAN connectivity. Every device I find requires registering the device on the vendor's Web site in some way and then the real control seems to be between the device and the vendor's Web site, or between the vendor's app on mobile devices which may or may not collect info and phone home. I really want devices that can be directly controlled via the LAN without third-party applications or registering devices with any third party.

I'm assuming this would require some kind of hub/server on the LAN which actually controlled any devices on the LAN. I sincerely doubt there are any, but if any community knows of any it will be you guys. Thanks.

You mean like a Raspberry Pi? How will it activate plugs, lights, thermostat, etc.? Those things controlled by the Pi would have to be something that was controllable via the LAN and required no outside connectivity or apps. It's those devices I'm looking for.

Unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer, but years ago, my Hydro company installed one that matched your query. It used some sort of low frequency radio link to connect "home" so that under extreme power loading conditions the Hydro company could 8ncrease everyone's (who authorized them to) A/C by 2 degrees.

Locally though, it connected to your wifi network and did not require internet access. The associated app allowed you to control it via wifi díerrctly. If you did allow it 8nternet connectivity, you could also access it remotely.

No idea if this sort if things is still available, but I would think there must be brands out there. I take it NEST routes through a home server?

Nest devices are Google devices. I wouldn't be surprised if they have hidden microphones with a stream of audio files going straight to Google from inside your house.

This "theoretical" device doesn't have to be that complicated. It can be done any number of ways, that would not cost any more than current implementations, but manufacturers don't WANT to do it that way because then they can't sell your data.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have hidden microphones with a stream of audio files going straight to Google from inside your house.
LOL

Mabye HomeKit devices?

Then you can use the Home App from Apple and don’t need a third-party App.

The Netatmo Home Coach is such a WiFi device that can measure temperature (and more).

With HomeKit you can also use Bluetooth instead of WiFi devices.

The Eve Room is such a Bluetooth device that can measure temperature (and more). The Eve Energy is a smartplug in this category.

Note that you will probably still need the third-party App and an online connection with the vendor (only) when you want to update the firmware.

Then you can use the Home App from Apple and don’t need a third-party App.

By third-party applications, I mean an application that is not already standard on my phone (like a Web browser). I would consider an Apple app to be a third party app. I don't want any app unless I can see the source. I don't trust people with a business interest in violating my privacy to refrain from doing so.

Look at industrial single board computers with at least a gpio bus. Modules to control can be added. Most run linux or a flavor of unix or dos. You could also look at used PLCs. Lots of std hardware out there.

I was hoping not to have that route as my only option. Too much work for the reward. Maybe there's a niche for someone to market consumer devices that can't be turned against their owners.

I know for people that live in other places my concerns might seem like paranoia, but I live in a state where they're proposing laws to force homeowners with smart thermostats to cede control of them to their utility companies. Meaning that my electric utility can just decide that they want my cooling set at 80° instead of 75° and they can log right in to my thermostat and do it, and then lock me out. Can I pull it off the wall and connect a "dumb" thermostat to override them? Sure, but why should I install devices that are designed to allow outsiders to control my life in the first place? That's pure insanity.

Last edited:
By third-party applications, I mean an application that is not already standard on my phone (like a Web browser). I would consider an Apple app to be a third party app.
Isn’t the Home App just as standard on iOS as Safari (the browser)?

Apple has documented the HomeKit protocol, so you can write your own App, if you don’t trust the Home App.

I don't know. I don't have an iPhone because I can't install my own operating system on it.

Nest devices are Google devices. I wouldn't be surprised if they have hidden microphones with a stream of audio files going straight to Google from inside your house.

This "theoretical" device doesn't have to be that complicated. It can be done any number of ways, that would not cost any more than current implementations, but manufacturers don't WANT to do it that way because then they can't sell your data.
I'm with you brother google are so insidious it's not funny

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!