What's new

Is there a way to assign different local IP ranges based on connection type (wireless/wired) [GT-AX6000]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qthe

New Around Here
I want to know if there is a way to AUTOMATICALLY assign a different private ip range to wireless connections as opposed to wired ones.

I want to do this so I can assign my vpn director to only target the local IP ranges associated with wireless devices,
I could manually sort between wired and wireless devices by setting the rules manually but that defeats the purpose as every new device that is connected would need to manually be sorted, something I'm not willing to do.

If you have a spare (small) ssd and don't mind running the merlin firmware along with YazFi the whole process can be automated for a guest wifi. That's the way I do it where I work and it works well for residents.
Obviously there's other ways to do it that I'm not experienced with.

I want to know if there is a way to AUTOMATICALLY assign a different private ip range to wireless connections as opposed to wired ones.
YazFi add-on script for Asus-Merlin firmware is one option. It sets up different IP address subnets for Guest WiFi Clients.

If not using Asus-Merlin, check that your router is supported by Asus-Merlin or one of it's forks.

If you have a spare (small) ssd and don't mind running the merlin firmware along with YazFi the whole process can be automated for a guest wifi.
Note: External storage is not needed to install and run YazFi itself.

I keep forgetting about jffs for smaller scripts. Yes an ssd is not needed.

Not sure about your model but with most stock firmware, Guest Wireless 1 is put on it's own ip range in separate vlans: one for 2.4GHz, one for 5GHz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!