What's new

Solved Is there a way? (to automatically save to two usb drives in one hit)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
To automatically backup when you have two usb drives installed to the router.

IE I have 2 x 2tb harddrives plugged into my router

1 of which is my main network drive for movies, tv etc. This can be picked up over the whole network no problem

I have a second drive, which has a "backup" folder

When I save a movie, I usually do a copy into the backup folder on the second drive manually, sectioned off the same way Films/TV/Music etc

Is there a way to automatically save the file I upload to disc 1 straight to disc2 backups? without having to manually do it each time?

Thanks

To automatically backup when you have two usb drives installed to the router.

IE I have 2 x 2tb harddrives plugged into my router

1 of which is my main network drive for movies, tv etc. This can be picked up over the whole network no problem

I have a second drive, which has a "backup" folder

When I save a movie, I usually do a copy into the backup folder on the second drive manually, sectioned off the same way Films/TV/Music etc

Is there a way to automatically save the file I upload to disc 1 straight to disc2 backups? without having to manually do it each time?

Thanks

Given a backup destination named Backups, I would let my backup software backup newly added media using endless incremental backups to the destination... on automatic daily schedule. So, I wouldn't even think about it... it would just happen per my regular backup scheme.

OE

Rsync would be the route I would choose , and in fact do use to copy across 6 systems daily, although there are other commands (like dd or rv cp for that natter) that can also play a role. There are many other options too that you can run from a remote system (beyond compare on a windows box as an example) if both drives are setup and shared. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least suggest using a proper nas enclosure as it would possibly not only handle the replication, remove unnecessary overhead from a key critical point in your network, but may offer a whole host of other features and benefits. (Since you already have the drives, the cost would be pretty minimal)

Thanks for all the help, that's great.