What's new

Is there a way to keep a tunnel running but only for specific traffic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big Ry

Regular Contributor
I own a rental property in which i have a Dahua surveillance system installed for security. To access the system remotely, i use VPN tunnel that is configured in the Netgear R7000 router at the house.

I also have a PC-based surveillance system at my house that I live in, and I can access that remotely via VPN tunnel on my Asus AC68U.

I would like to know if there's and way to configure devices to be connected to these tunnels in real time without running all traffic through either tunnel. I only want the traffic between device and router to be through tunnel. All other traffic, for say general web browsing, I want to run through the device's network connection - be it a mobile network or local wifi.

If this is possible, I'd also like to connect my PC-based surveillance system to the system at my rental, so i can view all live feeds in 1 window in my surveillance software.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Look at your VPN Server configuration. Must be settings for "Local network only" and "Internet and local network".

Look at your VPN Server configuration. Must be settings for "Local network only" and "Internet and local network".
Ok, so if it's set to "local network only", it wouldn't always assume I'm connected to said local network only? For example, my default gateway at my house and at the rental property is 192.168.1.1. So if i were simultaneously connected to both via tunnel, what would happen when i enter that gateway into a browser? It can't connect to two routers at once. Do i have to change the default gateway for this to work?

Ok, so if it's set to "local network only", it wouldn't always assume I'm connected to said local network only?

For local IPs you are connected to your network. For external IPs is used your mobile operator. On AC68U is straight forward. It's about more often used OpenVPN Server. Option is available on both Asus stock and Merlin firmware. This is how I use my iPhone to connect to home network. The app is called OpenVPN. Create the server, export the .ovpn file, import in the app. Done.

For both tunnels in the same time I can imagine R7000 as VPN Server. AC68U as VPN Client and Server. Your device connects to AC68U as VPN Client. I don't have the bridge config ready. Need to experiment what is needed, I guess Merlin. Someone who has done it may reply to you faster. Let me call @ColinTaylor here. He knows Asus routers tricks far better than me.

For local IPs you are connected to your network. For external IPs is used your mobile operator. On AC68U is straight forward. It's about more often used OpenVPN Server. Option is available on both Asus stock and Merlin firmware. This is how I use my iPhone to connect to home network. The app is called OpenVPN. Create the server, export the .ovpn file, import in the app. Done.

For both tunnels in the same time I can imagine R7000 as VPN Server. AC68U as VPN Client and Server. Your device connects to AC68U as VPN Client. I don't have the bridge config ready. Need to experiment what is needed, I guess Merlin. Someone who has done it may reply to you faster. Let me call @ColinTaylor here. He knows Asus routers tricks far better than me.
I should have mentioned, all these tunnels are already configured using openvpn. So i am familiar with using openvpn, but I'm not terribly familiar with the router settings or even some of the networking fundamentals. I also have Merlin flashed to my AC68U.

So it sounds like i may need to reconfigure the tunnels for local network only, then download new config files. I'm still unclear on how to use both at once on a single device. I'm not familiar with that bridge you mentioned. What is that?