What's new

is there an openvpn client bug for RT_AC5300 384.15_0?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nemxwasp

New Around Here
I was just curious if there was an openvpn bug introduced in the latest Asuswrt-merlin release.

I have 2 openvpn client tunnels on my RT-5300 that have been solid for a couple of years. After updating last week to 384.15_0 both of my tunnels will randomly show as connected in the gui and public ip "unknown" (and the switch in the gui will be set to off). Looking at the vpn client status page it will only show one line with the endpoint its supposedly connected to but none of the other info like packets etc. If I ssh and check the vpn client status from nvram (nvram get vpn_client1(or 2)_state) the tunnel responds with "2" aka running. If I test traffic from my devices they have no internet connection. This doesn't seem to impact both tunnels at once, one tunnel can be running fine while the other is having the issue. Also I've seen this happen immediately after a reboot so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the tunnel being up for too long. I plan to roll back to my previous firmware to see if that fixes it but just wanted to check to see if this is a known bug or if something on my end is busted.

thanks!

Last edited:
Check your system log.

I did before posting and saw nothing significant.
I rolled it back to 384.14_2 and the issue seems to have resolved (it was happening regularly, even upon reboot).

I was just curious if there was a known bug and wanted to report the issue if no one was aware if it is indeed a bug

I did before posting and saw nothing significant.
I rolled it back to 384.14_2 and the issue seems to have resolved (it was happening regularly, even upon reboot).

I was just curious if there was a known bug and wanted to report the issue if no one was aware if it is indeed a bug

None that I'm aware of, and there has been very little changes to OpenVPN recently (aside from a firewall-related bugfix a few weeks ago).

But the system log will tell you why it's failing.

system log had nothing in it besides business as usual stuff. I think as far as the router was concerned the vpn tunnel was working just fine. I'm still solid since rolling back so I'll just skip this one and try out the next one.

Side note: I've been reading these forums for a few years now and you guys are awesome! My home network wouldn't be what it is without all your help so thank you!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!