What's new

Is there any 4G-AC55U successor?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muddymind

Regular Contributor
Hi!

Currently I'm using a crappy huawei 4g modem provided by my ISP with a RT-AC68U on DMZ. This solution is sucks for a lot of reasons and the huawei modem is quite unstable.

I wanted a more integrated solution and the 4G-AC55U seems quite nice but it's getting a bit outdated. Do any of you know if there's a new version coming? If it supported the new AiMesh it would be a huge plus!

Other solution would be getting a 4G usb stick and connect it to the RT-AC68U but from what I searched It seems a bit sketchy when it comes to compatibility and speeds. This is the main internet of the house (500GB data cap at around 70/20mbps effective speeds) and I didn't want to compromise the speeds I currently get.

If any of you has a similar setup please share your experiences.

Check Dovado. They get a lot of good attention in Sweden when it comes to routers using 4G dongles. I don't know about availability and compatibility in your country though.

Thanks for the suggestion but without a clear compatibility guarantee I won't go for that solution.

It's really a pain trying to have a decent internet connection in a rural zone. I finally got a service with minimum decent speeds and data cap only to find myself in the crap that is the 4G ecosystem.

If I don't find any other viable solution I'll end up trying the 4G-AC55U despite its age. At least it has been getting support from Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!