What's new

Is there any "click and print" Print Server Device on the market?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnchor

New Around Here
hi guys,

Is there any "click and print" Print Server Device on the market?
i mean a "printer server device" which has auto windows drivers installation when a user desktop double click on the printers on the print server. something like a Windows server OS print server.

i know normally for print sever device like D-link, TP-link etc. when user desktop double click on it, it will prompt for drivers installation. i want a device which will auto install the windows drivers instead of asking the user to install drivers. is there such a device?

i do know Samba/CUPS server can do this, but i wanted a more simpler embeded device instead of a server.
thanks

Why do you need a print server with today's inexpensive printers themselves being network connected devices? Ethernet or WiFi as you prefer.

hi sir
because I have 13 sites and each site has 3-4 printers and about 50 users.
I do not want to install printers manually for each user. instead I will point them to the print server and double click and install the printer themselves...
thanks

It is a half a page script that you have to give to the users and they can then install the networked printer themselves.

Just have all of them on the same relative network path at each site and a description name for the printer.

Maybe you are running XP, but Win 7, 8 and 8.1 auto installs the drivers in most cases for most network printers I've used. No having to go out and try to find print drivers.

You can also just pre-load the printer drivers in the image you have loaded on the machines. Or push out the driver to all machines when you do bug fix updates.

Why do you need a print server with today's inexpensive printers themselves being network connected devices? Ethernet or WiFi as you prefer.
Really all print
hi sir
I do not want to install printers manually for each user. instead I will point them to the print server and double click and install the printer themselves...
thanks
Possible to have multiple network(WiFi, LAN) printers. Even in my home network, we have two printers, one color laser, one photo inkjet. Users can choose which one to use depending on what is being printed. Both are Air print compatible. Never have any issues.

hi sir
thanks
Ah, didn't know you were talking enterprise scale.
As said above, most enterprise IT systems provide users with a server-based driver installer for the printer ID(s) that the user designates. Either IT tells the user, or the user goes down the hall to find the ID of the closest.

hi guys

thanks for advice. we have a lot of brands of printer those big multifunction copier printers etc. so it is not possible to load all the drivers. at first I wanted todo a windows server print server in HQ so all users can just click and print. but the internet/VPN of the remote sites maybe down and they can't print anymore. so I wanted a small print server device which functions like a windows print server at each remote site to reduce impact. it seems like the raspberry Pi can do it with some hacking as a samba/cups print server... that's some work todo because I need 13 devices. wondering if any off the shelf products I can get on the market instead???

thanks

Where I used to work, they had the same situation. Dozens of printers, plotters, many types. They had some software for MS domains that let we users lookup a printer given it's room number or ID then pull and install in windows the driver for each desired printer. I don't know what that was, but it had a nice GUI. I'd guess that it is in common use in the enterprise systems that are microsoft centric.

As a geek and an RPi user, nah, you don't want to DIY this.

Cheaper to just buy software to do this than you trying to develop, but more so, trying to sustain a DIY. Software life cycle costs are in sustaining, not developing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!