What's new

Is there any way to see connections between local devices? (specifically a wifi2ghz to a wifi5ghz?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ERamseth2

Occasional Visitor
I fear the answer is no, but I will ask... Is there any way to see if a device is connecting via LAN to another device on LAN (versus, say, out to the internet and back?, which I guess would end up being a loopback on the WAN interface?) - Oh and also I can't access netstat on the devices (not-rooted android phone and some camera without any sort of shell login).

Basically, I have some cameras and other devices (I guess they're all "IoT" devices) that I am unsure if they get connected to locally or via the internet. I guess I can just block internet access and see if they still work. But it still brought this question to my mind.

Not really, as you said you really need access to netstat on the clients.

The only thing that I can think of as you're specifically interested in traffic moving between WiFi interfaces is to use ebtables. It's not a very reliable method though. For example, to try and track connections from a device at 192.168.1.20:
Code:
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING -p IPv4 --ip-src 192.168.1.20 --log-ip --log-prefix "EBTABLES"

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!