What's new

Is there anyway to block Betternet VPN on ASUS router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roy2002

Regular Contributor
I have a AC68U with latest ASUS firmware. My son is using Betternet VPN app on his iphone.

Is there anyway to block it on ASUS router? Or can I block it with OpenDNS? I searched through google but could not find a clear answer. Thank you.

All he has to do to get around any router block is to switch to his cellular network, so that wouldn't help I'm afraid.

All he has to do to get around any router block is to switch to his cellular network, so that wouldn't help I'm afraid.
I will monitor his data usage and he knows that. I just want to block Youtube, Tiktok and Instagram (during weekday), kids are just addicted to watching stupid videos.

I will monitor his data usage and he knows that. I just want to block Youtube, Tiktok and Instagram (during weekday), kids are just addicted to watching stupid videos.

You will have to figure out the address of the VPN servers, and block these in the router.

You will have to figure out the address of the VPN servers, and block these in the router.

It might be easier to block the child's device access to the Internet until they are more responsible.

OE

I just want to block Youtube, Tiktok and Instagram (during weekday), kids are just addicted to watching stupid videos.

Actually restricting time usage for apps is simple now with Apple iOS new Screen Time feature.

Steps to block individual apps:
1. Go to Settings > Screen Time
2. Tap the area that shows usage statistics (it's located just below "All Devices" and above "Downtime")
3. Scroll down and tap on the individual app you wish to block
4. Scroll down and tap on Add Limit
5. Set the usage time allowed per day, after which those apps will be blocked.
Note: The individual app will now be listed under Settings > Screen Time > App Limits along with whatever categories you blocked here.

Steps to block entire categories of apps (default):
1. Go to Settings > Screen Time > App Limits
2. Tap Add Limit
3. Select categories to block
4. Set the usage time allowed per day, after which those apps will be blocked.

Other ideas: You might also look into using Restrictions to require a PIN to install new apps, change account settings, install VPN profiles, etc. You could also enable Family Sharing between your Apple ID's and enable "Ask to buy" for his Apple ID so you will need to approve any new apps before he can purchase them.

It might be easier to block the child's device access to the Internet until they are more responsible.

OE

Easier said than done. The only real way to do that is to confiscate internet enabled devices.

Talking to the world here -- Like Rmerlin said, filtering on the router is useless if they can just switch to cellular. The solution then is parental controls on the device itself, which may require installing a fully featured commerical third party app (theres a lot out there). No doubt different types of kids may require different parenting strategies but personally I think nanny apps only go so far. Eventually it comes down to parents coaching their kids on proper life balance and safe internet usage. Unfortunately that's a 24/7 job that working parents don't always have the time for these days. Falling back on filtering services is useful if only to at least block the malware.

Easier said than done. The only real way to do that is to confiscate internet enabled devices.

Talking to the world here -- Like Rmerlin said, filtering on the router is useless if they can just switch to cellular. The solution then is parental controls on the device itself, which may require installing a fully featured commerical third party app (theres a lot out there). No doubt different types of kids may require different parenting strategies but personally I think nanny apps only go so far. Eventually it comes down to parents coaching their kids on proper life balance and safe internet usage. Unfortunately that's a 24/7 job that working parents don't always have the time for these days. Falling back on filtering services is useful if only to at least block the malware.

Exactly. I wasn't going to go there.

My kids got dumb phones their junior year in high school. They got smart phones when they bought them on their own. They started sharing a supervised PC in pre-school, got their own PC in high school, and always had full access to the Internet. Worked for us.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!