What's new

Is this consider DNS leak?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chongnt

Very Senior Member
I have RT-AC86U on merlin 384.19.
LAN DHCP server DNS empty.
WAN DNS set to 8.8.8.8 (only for router itself)
WAN DoT set to quad9 and cloudflare.

Everything works fine. My device only show DNS from DoT using this link:

Then I setup VPN client 1 to only route my phone. With accept DNS configuration set to disabled. I also setup VPN client 2 for guest only set to accept DNS exclusive. DNS still working as expected.

Problem happen after I setup VPN client 3 with accept DNS configuration relaxed. Forced Internet traffic through tunnel is set to Policy Rule (strict). Block routed client if tunnel go down set to no. Actually at this stage no rules for client is set yet so nothing is routed here. Somehow my pc which is routed through WAN and my phone that is routed to VPN client 1 both shows DNS from VPN client 3 provider on top of DoT DNS from WAN setting. The VPN provider DNS went away after I bring down VPN client 3.

I suppose only device route to VPN client 3 will have DNS from DoT and VPN provider. Is this expected behaviour or consider a DNS leak?